Can I get a TiVo box with directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by News Junky, Jun 25, 2015.

1. News Junky

News Junky Icon

Mar 16, 2005
    We recently returned to directv after being with comcast for around 5 years. The picture quality is stunning compared to cable. However, some family members are not happy with the Dvr interface, search capabilities and ondemand navigation. Of course, you subscribe to TV services for the TV but the user experience of finding want to watch is important.

When we first got directv around 10 or so years ago, it came with TiVo. I have never forgotten the amazing experience having TiVo was and yes, I fell for the snake oil line that their new dvr was better than TiVo. Nothing I've ever experienced with subscription TV, satellite or cable is anywhere near as good as TiVo. That said, cost is a consideration and does my life revolve around watching tv to the extent I can justify paying the premium for TiVo. And even if I could, is it compatible with directv? If I won the lottery I'd get TiVo. Absent that, I'll think about it if I can get a previously owned TiVo system on Craig's list or eBay...maybe and that's if it will work with directv, which I'm now locked into till at least 2017. I got something called genie with one dvr that services 3 other rooms. Googling on line seems to indicate TiVo is not compatible with my particular directv service but I know you guys are the authorities.

Any input?

Ps. I really wish TiVo would and directv would go back to partnering with each other.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Standalone TiVO boxes are not compatible with DIRECTV®. However DIRECTV® has an HD TiVO DVR (THR22), but it leaves lot to be desired.

1 person likes this.
  3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Sorry but the TiVo just isn't better than the genie system at all. Not the ones that work with DIRECTV. Stand alone we can have a good debate maybe and many would prefer the TiVo. (I wouldn't because I don't like how it treats me but it is one great dvr) What exactly are some examples of your issues. Maybe we can help you understand a better way to do things with the DIRECTV box.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you have access to devices that can run apps, one of mobile apps may offer an appealing alternative to the "HD UI".

I'd be willing to wager that the THR22 represents DIRECTV's final offer with respect to something that bears a passing resemblance to a classic TiVo box.

Any future TiVo support will probably have to come with a congressional mandate that AT&T convert their DBS customers to a standardized conditional access system that currently doesn't exist.

5. News Junky

News Junky Icon

Mar 16, 2005
    Thanks so much! I sent out a text to the fam on your kind offer and waiting for responses but to start:

1. I set directv to record an "entire series" of a program on CBS. It's trying to record it from channel 390, which I cannot receive and not my local CBS affiliate. Tried re-establishing the recording series from the local affiliate channel on the program guide to no avail. It's defaulting to the channel 390 broadcast, which I cannot view.

2. I set another directv "entire series" recording from NBC. Instead of recording it when it comes on tv, Its saving them from NBC channel 1004, the on demand channel for NBC. This seems like a waste of harddrive soNce since if I wanted to watch it on demand, I could do that without needing to record it first...I thought. Plus from I demand I cannot fast forward so I'd prefer the over the air feed.

3. I'm pretty sure the answer is no but is there anyway I can get fox, NBC, abc or CBS from New York and Los Angeles? I have a thing for local news from other cities when big stories break. Just in case the rules have been relaxed.

4. The sales but at the Walmart who signed us up said directv now has "apps" built into their receiver boxes that allow their subscribers access YouTube and I think he said Netflix. "With directv it's like having a smart TV but it might take a few days for all the apps to download." I see the apps icon under extras and it's been a few days but I only see the weather, scorceguide and what's hot. Will others be added?

5. Can ondemand be searched by network? I just discovered it can by channel, which is essentially the same thing. Thanks.

More to come

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The rules for qualifying for DNS have changed somewhat at the FCC level but according to a FAQ on their website, DIRECTV has made a business decision known as the "no distant where local" rule. Essentially the "rule" says that DIRECTV "cannot" add DNS in markets where LIL is offered.

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2450/~/how-is-eligibility-for-dns-determined%3F

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There was a Youtube app but it has been disabled:

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4515

There was never a Netflix app.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    1 person likes this.
  9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV made the decision not to allow DNS even with waivers.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Youtube is still on so apparently Google didn't disable it.

12. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Really? You have a DIRECTV box with it still on? Google shut down you tube on millions of devices a few weeks ago and there's been ton of talk about it which I'm sure you haven't missed. sad you'll never stop feeding people bad info it seems.

1 person likes this.
  13. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's not true. The challenge is that it's just about impossible to get waivers from local stations any more.

1 person likes this.
  14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    so Sony, Samsung, Apple, etc got together to disable YouTube on all of their devices....... AMAZING!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    false...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  16. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    The issue with YouTube is that they changed the application interface and the old one used in many TVs and DirecTV boxes is no longer supported.

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    What market are you in? When you pull up the all channels guide do you see channel 390 as a darker grey, or is the same color as your other stations you get? This is an issue, and it shouldn't be to hard to figure out why...

Is this for new series? If so, select a specific episode on that channel and chose it to record, instead of entire series menu choice. Personally, I use the guide for most my series recordings. I first set my default record options (under manager recordings, defaults) to record new only, save all episodes and to save them till I delete them.

Then I just press the record button twice (works anywhere actually, as long as you are on a program description page, or it's what You are actually watching) on a program in the guide and it will record all new episodes of that show on that channel, which is the only channel it will be on as a new show, and it uses my default recordings. No menus to traverse like TiVo every time I want to create a series recording.

I only use the record all series and all seasons feature to catch. Shows that I want to see old and new episodes. Like friends for example. (Have to make sure and change for that one recording the setting to also be for all episodes and not just new like the default you can change any individual series recording options by choosing more info and record options, from any of that series episodes int he guide, or the playlist, or in the prioritized list. Lots of ways to get to that screen)

And make sure you delete the old series recording that was recording on the wrong channel. Go into manage recordings and prioritized and delete it from there, then redo it. I'll bet it's still there and higher in the prioritized list.

2. What series? And how did you set the recording and is it actually recording them all in advance in your playlist? Or does it seem to download the next episode as you finish watching the latest one... There's a few quirks this summer with some series being online before it airs in the linear station... This may be a part of that.

3. The rules are harder if anything.. And there's no way to get them from two different cities anymore at all, they won't do it. And if you have your locals, they won't do it then either, for a multitude of reasons but you don't even have a chance really.

But I cans tell you the local channels here in Los Angeles love to offer their Newscasts and segments from their apps to anyone..

4. Press the right arrow on your remote while watching tv. That's one way to get the apps. The other is to use the extras menu. They don't offer any competitors streaming services, just pandora and a couple others like score guide and weather.

They also do some special ones during things like Wimbledon etc..

And as has been said, YouTube is Google yanking it from millions of devices and now it's gone, and it's not coming back... That's not just directv for sure...

5. On demand can be searched a lot of ways... In the search menus there's an option to go to on demand. Smart search will pull on demand. Also in the guide press select on the name of a channel (all the way to the left highlight the channel number itself) and you'll get the on demand channel. Also can just type in a 1 in front of any channel for example, TNT on demand channel is 1245 vs 245 for the actual channel.

There are a couple on demand channels that don't have regular channels too.

A couple things people often miss that are nice.. Press the enter button while watching full screen tv, no menus up of any kind. And Also while no menus are up and full screen tv press the up arrow on your remote. Ill let you find out what those do, but they are nice. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    As sbl points out, the aforementioned "manufacturers" (of which DIRECTV is a one) decided not to keep up with changes in the application programming interface so Youtube is no longer supported. Youtube itself goes on substantially unabated and not all that hurt.

If Google had refused to license something or issue them some manner of "key", your argument would have some merit but as that's not what is going on. Those companies have made their respective decisions to not support Youtube playback.

If DIRECTV decided tomorrow that they needed to change to an encryption or modulation scheme that was incompatible with RCA and Sony branded receivers, would that be wrong?

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Here you are spreading more FAD !rolling . "decided" more likely their current hardware can't support YouTube new requirements. It seems to me that YouTube "decided" or made a decision on everyone's behalf.

20. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Well now, hold on...
    Does anyone have any acual proof Google said No Directv you can't have YouTube on your HRs anymore?
    Fair question.

Because if Google was in fact stating such, why is it still Available on my Vizio M series, and we'll as My Roamio, and Minis?

The only source I've seen shows Google pulled Youtube from older platforms.

I've notice lately that if someone has a "Personal" vendetta against certain members , they tend to discard acual Facts when posted and treat them as if it's , FUD.

Since I want facts when I come here, Where did Youtube tell anyone they have to drop their YOUTUBE app?
    Other then a Technical update that beyond some current available platforms.

Not that difficult of a Question.
    No need for Flaming and Personal attacks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk