Can I get guide to only show the channels that I watch the most?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Ed Kreiling, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Ed Kreiling

Ed Kreiling New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    FL
    Recently had DTV installed and am amazed at all the channels like: Cop Cam, Robin Williams, and the enormous amount of channels trying to sell vacuum cleaners, jewelry etc. Is there some way to customize the guide and eliminate all of these and only show the programs that we actually watch?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, you have to Create a Favorites List. You can actually make 2 and then there is one already called Channels I get and one called All Channels.
    You can also go into settings and choose for it to Hide SD Duplicates.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes. You have two 'custom' guides you can program with the channels you watch.

Under your Menu, look for Favorite Channels. Or while viewing your Guide, you can selection Guide Options and Edit your two lists, including changing the name.

I use both of mine. First one has the channels we watch; second varies by the sports season (e.g. Hockey or Olympics or MLB).

jimmie57 likes this.
  4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    "Channels I Get" is misleading. It is not just the channels you subscribe too.

ericknolls and jimmie57 like this.
  5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    That is what I made my first favorites list into - what "channels I get" should be. It's everything I subscribe to with no filler crap like PPV, shopping, etc. Just doing that cleans it up nicely and things are much easier to find.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The unwanted channels are included in your subscription ... so they are part of the channels you subscribe to. :)

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Channels I Get includes all the RSNs, yet I don't subscribe to the Sports pack.
    Channels I Get includes all the premium sports packages (MLB, NFL, MLS, NHL, ESPN College Extra and NBA), yet I don't subscribe to any of those.

Channels I Get should be call Channels I Could Get.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    dreadlk and Rich like this.
  8. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Click on the guide button. Then click the yellow button. Select change favorite list. Then click on setup Custom 1. Then select the channels you want to watch. Also don't forget to rename you new list.

AngryManMLS likes this.
  9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    This hasn't worked on the new receivers in a long time. Since the introduction of the new interface, the color buttons do nothing on the Genies, even if you use the RC65 or similar remote. To access the custom guides, you must press guide, then 0 (zero), then edit favorites, then you set up custom 1. After you have it set up, if you follow those steps again (guide > zero > then select the name of the favorites list you set up) it will default to your custom guide when you press "guide" until you change it again.

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have the 119 satellite - several of the Spanish channels show up as a channel I get when only 402, 404, 408, 410, 447, 448, 456, and 461 should as those are the only Spanish channels that come in without the EE add-on. Maybe Univision Deportes is available outside the Directv Deportes add-on, which I have, so they are all white for me (464-469). ALso, all of the VOD channels (1000s) show up, too, when only those in your package work. Channels I Get is the original fake news.

Channels I Get is really no different than "all channels" with 80% accuracy. To me, it is completely worthless.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  11. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    He's a new install, asking a very basic question. Good chance he has a Genie and some things are different. If so, he probably has the newer, smaller remote that doesn't have a yellow button -- the red colored button is the only one that's been retained.

With a Genie, starting in the Guide:
    • Press 0 (zero) to change guide settings
    • Change favorites list
    • Setup Custom 1 (or 2),
      or if you want to edit a list you already created:
      • Edit settings
      • Name of list you want to edit.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Does the Genie have the 9 channel Quick Tune ?

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Press the Up arrow on the remote.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't have a Genie. I was hoping someone would post how to create this on a Genie which the OP probably has.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    That is how you start Quick Tune on the Genie. Same as other devices. Imagine that.

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, but you do not have the Green button to anchor the channel to the spot in the Quick Tune.
    What anchors it in the Genie remote ?

18. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    The Enter key. Not the Select key in the middle of the direction keys, the one below the 9 key. Works with both style remotes, and if I remember correctly, even works with non-Genies.

jimmie57 likes this.
  19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is also a Quick Tune you can set up.
    Put the receiver on a channel that you are going to use the most,
    Press the up arrow button on the remote,
    The Quick Tune will open up on the screen,
    Press the arrow keys to move to where you want this channel to be and press the Enter button on the remote ( Not the Select button ).
    Repeat for as many as 8 more channels.
    If you put the channel you want to go to the most in the center, the next time you press the up arrow button on the remote the Quick Tune will open up and you can the press the Select button and jump right to that channel.
    For the other 8 you have to navigate to them and the press the Select button.