Can I give leased receiver to another subscriber

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bryantlc, Jun 12, 2009.

1. bryantlc

bryantlc Mentor

Oct 27, 2006
    I have a HR20 that I will be deactivating soon. Can I deactivate and then give this leased receiver to another subscriber for them to activate or do they have to pay the leased receiver fee again?

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    If you deactivate the receiver, directv will want it back. You can not give it to someone else to activate.

3. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Since it is an HR20, they will definitely want it back.

4. chesterfields

chesterfields New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Bummer, I have a similar problem and I thought it can be sublet to another one. :(

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    In a word, "no," you cannot do this.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would call and check by saying I'm deactivating it and then pass phone to your friend who will open new account right away and get the box assigned to his file. I don't see any legal implications and it will benefit DTV: getting new customer and no expenses for DTV as shipping fee.

7. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I actually deactivated a HR20 a few weeks ago. The CSR asked if I thought I might reactivate it again later and I said maybe. He let me keep it.

I then decided to replace a HDVR2 Tivo with the HR20 on a SD set. I am glad I did not have to send it back.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    SURE you can deactivate the HR20.
    SURE you can give it to a friend.

SURE you can pay about $500 for selling/giving their property when will people learn leasing means you don't own it. It is still owned by Directv.

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Except that they will still need to send a tech to the friend's place to install a compatible dish, etc. Not to mention they'd still have to charge the new account holder for a leased DVR that they would have no way of confirming that it is in the desired working condition for them to have to back/warranty in the lease.

To the OP, if you deactivate, you return the receiver to DirecTV.

10. JB292

JB292 AllStar

Apr 24, 2009
    I was on an install recently where a son was moving into his father's house. Each of them had a DirecTV account. They let the son transfer his receivers to his father's account. We did have to call the card services department to get it straightened out, as the first line CS agent said no way.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That type of story telling me it could be done - just talk to CSR and to the card services department.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If his friend already have the KaKu dish, then no tech visit required. And the transfer would be done easy - see JB292's post.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm scared, he's scared, everybody here too - is that effect you expect ? :D

BTW, after the transfer the receiver will still leased, nobody told you opposite.

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    That's true, but given that he said the friend would be setting up a new account, I didn't figure he already had the KaKu dish. Maybe you're seeing something I'm not. :confused:

15. Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    According to the Equipment Lease Addendum:
    So, according to the agreement you agreed to when you received the equipment, no you cannot transfer the equipment to another subscriber.

Of course, just like anything else, I'm sure you can play CSR roulette until you get someone dumb enough to do it. Just don't be surprised if it bites you later on.

16. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Maybe you're seeing something he did not say. I never read a word about his friend setting up a new account.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nobody telling he has rights to do the transfer, I'm advise about calling CSR and propose DTV will carry the process.

18. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Yes, you're right. It was actually PSmith who posted that and not the OP. :grin:

My bad.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    And OP didn't mention dish install needs for his friend.