Can I give my GenieGO to my brother?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by sangs, Feb 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Have a GenieGO, but I use my Slingbox 99.9 percent of the time, so I want to give the GenieGO to my brother. Any special steps he or I need to take? Do I have to do anything more than reset it to factory status before giving it to him? Thanks.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It is technically possible, but reports are that it is very difficult to transfer it to another account.

3. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    I bought a used one so it is possible. First you have to call Directv to deactivate it from your account. After your brother gets it, he will have to call Directv to get it activated on his. It took about 2 or 3 days for that to happen for me, IIRC. So it's not as easy as resetting the GG, but it can be done.

Let us know how it works out.

4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    I think you have to own it before you can even think of transferring it.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    We are talking about the Genie Go here, not the Genie whole home DVR. All Genie Go devices are owned from day one.

Confusion like this is why I wish DirecTV would have stuck with the Nomad name instead of renaming it the Genie Go.

6. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Thanks all.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Some have reported success in a few days since have been struggling for over a month to get it transfer. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk