1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I just say? I'm glad News Corp. is no longer involved with DIRECTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Doug Brott, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hearing that News Corp is in bad shape amid scandal, I'm glad that DIRECTV is no longer associated with them.

CNN.com

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    My thoughts exactly.
    What a travisty!

Doctor j

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    And just as glad for the folks in the UK who were looking to have another News Corp-owned satellite service.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    But they were great while they were here.

By hacking into Stuart's phone, I found out his wife calls him Bunny-Honey.

[​IMG]

;) :p

5. ICM2000

ICM2000 Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    How is this post any different than the numerous political threads that are banned? Your post is out of line because using a CNN report about News Corp is very prejudicial.

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  7. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Were they "connected" to DTV when the "events" transpired??

8. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Do you have a link to the Fox News story on this? I am having a hard time finding it. Must be buried deep.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    !rolling

10. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Thats what I thought to.

11. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
  12. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Just because a politician is part of the story doesn't make this thread political. The politicians were part of the group that were hacked.

Just because politicians are looking into the story (since they were some of the ones hacked) doesn't make this thread political.

As for using CNN as a news source, does it really matter given what a News Corp subsidiary has done?

Cheers,
    Tom

13. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Unless there is evidence that the misdeeds extended beyond the News of the World, it is unlikely there will be any significant fall-out in the US.

On a related subject, I find it interesting that after selling off DirecTV and calling satellite service a "turd bird", News Corp is looking to aquire a satellite service in the UK.

14. DaveC27

DaveC27 Godfather

Apr 14, 2010
    Well they've always owned BSkyB, but co-owned the service with a number of other companies and were now seeking to purchase the company outright

15. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Here you go -

"According to The Guardian, The Independent and the BBC, investigators working for the News of the World, The Sun and The Sunday Times obtained information about (then PM Gordon) Brown's family, his legal, his financial and his medical records."

"The Sunday Times allegedly posed as Brown to obtain his personal financial records."

"The Daily Mirror also floated allegations that News of the World journalists tried to hack into the phones of victims of the 9/11 attacks. A source told the Mirror that a then-New York City police officer (now a private investigator) was approached and offered money if he would hack into the victims' voicemail. The officer reportedly declined the offer."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...al-murdoch-gordon-brown-hacking_n_894588.html

Oh, and this couldn't have happened to a nicer guy -

"The growing phone hacking scandal has sent News Corp’s shares down 13% since the story first broke. The share price collapse had wiped more than $5bn off the market value of News Corp. The drop was most painfully felt by the Murdoch family, which with a 39.7% shareholding, saw its paper fortune reduced by more than $2bn."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/12/news-corp-plans-share-buyback

What's the word I'm looking for ? Oh yeah, here it is -

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/schadenfreude

16. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I like Fox News. CNN, MSNBC and the network news casts only give a one sided viewpoint. Fox News constantly beats all of them in ratings.

17. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    The way that News Of The World was shut down almost instantly makes me wonder if it isn't an attempt to stem interest before other holdings start receiving scrutiny. It seems a little suspiscious to me.

"Move along folks. Nothing more to see here."

18. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Not for much longer -

"...the latest ratings survey once again has Fox News slouching alone as the only cable news network to lose viewers year-over-year. The decline holds for both total viewers and for the 25-54 year old demographic, with the worst showing a double-digit decline in the demo for primetime."

http://www.newscorpse.com/ncWP/?s=ratings&searchsubmit=Find

19. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet... :eek2:

I've also been criticized and labeled for saying I don't like Fox News (for the record, I'm not crazy about CNN, MSNBC, or pretty much any source that calls themselves journalism, though TV networks are the worst offenders in my eyes, and Fox News the worst of the bunch), so I debated on saying anything negative toward News Corp.

However, I will say this. I do NOT like Rupert Murdoch. I respect some of his business abilities but at the end of the day, I too can say I was very happy when News Corp. stopped being associated with DirecTV. Makes paying that bill out all the more easier.

On the other hand, I'm quite thankful for Rupert Murdoch and News Corp. for turning the SpaceWays into video satellites, and putting so much of an emphasis on HD channels (both local and national) while at DirecTV.

~Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.