1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I keep inactive leased receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hehateme, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1 of 35
    hehateme

hehateme Mentor

Jan 27, 2008
    My parents visit me 4 months a year. When they are visiting I use an HD Receiver in my guest bedroom. When they are not around nobody uses the TV. Even if I have a short term guest they can watch cable as I have both.
    I paid $100 to get the receiver. Now I am paying $5 lease fee every month.
    Can I call DirecTV and tell them that I want to disable the receiver?
    Will ask me to send the receiver back to them.?
    I will activate this receiver next summer?
    I got this receiver in Summer of 2009 so am I under a contract to keep it active for 1 year?
    I am trying to save $5 per month if possible.

Thanks

2. Jan 6, 2010 #2 of 35
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Yes you can deactivate the receiver.
    Yes you would be required to send it back.
    The account has the agreement not that receiver.

3. Jan 6, 2010 #3 of 35
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    A deactivated leased receiver prompts a recovery kit to be sent to you. If it's not received back in a certain amount of time, your account will be billed for the full price of the receiver. You could always call them to see if something could be worked out, but I doubt it.

4. Jan 6, 2010 #4 of 35
    aphoward

aphoward Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    Actually you can request the receiver to be "suspended" instead of deactivated, and then you keep it instead of shipping it back. I did this with 6 boxes that are sitting in my basement right now. If they insist on asking you for a reason, tell them you only need the box(es) for XXX (insert current sports season here). This saves you from having to pay to get another receiver in the future.

FYI, I've always done this via email to avoid dealing with retarded CSRs on the phone.

5. Jan 6, 2010 #5 of 35
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You can only suspend an account not a receiver.

6. Jan 6, 2010 #6 of 35
    jimbo56

jimbo56 Legend

Nov 13, 2007
    I deactivated the receiver I had outside in the gazebo in early autumn; told the CS rep that I would turn it on again next spring. She said no problem. The receiver charge was removed from my account. Never received a recovery kit. Apparently they do have the ability to suspend a receiver. However, DirecTV's policies seem to vary depending on which CS representative you get when you call.

7. Jan 6, 2010 #7 of 35
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Your receiver is deactivated not suspended. Now if it's leased and they didn't ship a return kit then they did something that shouldn't be done if it's owned they won't ask for it back.

8. Jan 7, 2010 #8 of 35
    CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Nah. There's a special priority code used (actually, there's 2 ways of doing it, if CSRs dont use a priority code, or if they use the NO REC KIT priority code) for leased receivers to be deactivated without being sent back.

You can deactivate leased receivers on a temporary basis. If you don't plan to reactivate them, DirecTV wants them back. If you sell it, DirecTVs going to charge you the NRF.
    For example: If you're remodeling a room in your home, you can deactivate the receiver in that room until the remodeling is done, and then call and have it reactivated.

9. Jan 7, 2010 #9 of 35
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolded the part that's relevant to your reply.

10. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    What part of There's a special priority code...(NO REC KIT...) for leased receivers to be deactivated without being sent back did you miscomprehend?

I also included an example (remodeling a room) where a LEASED receiver is allowed to be deactivated without having a recovery kit sent out.

So give me an example of why it shouldn't be done...
    I gave an example of something that COULD happen when that priority code is used. Someone could ask the CSR to use that priority code, and then sell the receiver. But in the long run, the account holder is screwing themselves because THEY'LL be charged the Non-Return Fee.

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I've deactivated three or four receivers over the past few years, never been billed for them, and never gotten a kit.

That's good because I've reactivated some of them.

12. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I have a leased recever R15-300 that I have suspended from time to time with no problem. I tell the CSR i want to suspended service for that recever only.

13. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I have two of them in storage that I have done this with without any issues. It can be done.

14. rehaz1

rehaz1 Cool Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I upgraded 2 SD leased DVR's to HD DVR's the installer installed the new receivers and never took to 2 SD receivers back. That was 6 or 7 monthe ago, they are still sitting in my garage.

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Damn, I wish I knew this. I'm remodeling my basement right now so I deactivated that receiver and sent it back. I told them I was remodeling and they didn't give me this option. Now I'll have to sign a new 2 year agreement, and possibly have to pay up front to get another receiver down there (I'm hoping I won't have to pay though since it's a MPEG4 market).

16. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    It might depend on the unit itself. I would imagine they probably have little or no use for the cheaper, older and obsolete receivers. If it's a current-generation HD DVR, on the other hand, I assume they would want it back.

17. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    If it's a DirecTV branded receiver, received after February of 06, and not paid for in full, DirecTV generally wants it back.

When the CSR deactivates a receiver, they have to give a reason/trouble/priority code. This is what tells the warehouse what problem the receiver is having. Including: "No Power", "Searching for Satellite Signal", "No Audio/Video", etc.
    One of the options is "NO REC KIT". Which does exactly that, deactivates the receiver without sending out a recovery kit.
    If i'm not mistaken, this may be the same code that is used when a technician swaps out a receiver.

If/when you cancel your DirecTV service, DirecTV is going to ask for those back.
    If you fail to send them back, DirecTV is going to charge for them.
    Until the day comes that it is cheaper for DirecTV to have you keep those SD receivers than to have you ship them back for refurbishing, that's how it will be.

If you're sure you wont use those receivers in the future and want to send them back, you can call DirecTV and request to have 2 recovery kits sent out to you.

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    There are many things you're stating as fact that are not factual but I'm not going to argue it anymore if that's what you want to believe then so be it. Just think for a moment though that if this was policy and these receivers were flagged not to be returned because of this would they ever get that receiver back if someone disconnected? You might as well start posting that everyone is eligible for SWM as well because it's been posted on here times where peope have gotten it even when it didn't meet the criteria posted and that everyone is eligible for free upgrades all the time as well.

19. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Because when someone disconnects service, DirecTV sends out recovery boxes for all leased receivers that haven't been checked into the warehouse.

So if you have 5 leased receivers deactivated on your account, and 3 leased receivers ACTIVE on your account, and you disconnect, DirecTV is going to send out 8 recovery boxes.

If you only send 3 leased receivers back, then you're going to be charged for the 5 leased receivers that DirecTV didn't receive.

I'd call/email DirecTV so I could prove it to you but like you said, sometimes CSR's loophole things so there's no way I could ever prove to you that's the way it works.

20. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    As they say "you learn something new every day!".

I did not know you could SUSPEND a leased receiver and then restart service on it at a later time-of course without a fee or an additional commitment.

Good information to keep in mind and another reason why DirecTV beats the "other" satellite TV service and of course cable... ;)