1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I keep my old HD DVRs and watch the recorded programs from them if I get a Genie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by iowaberg, Aug 15, 2013.

1. iowaberg

iowaberg Godfather

May 24, 2007
    I have an HR20-700, HR24-200, and an HR23-700 connected to the Whole Home service. I would love to get a Genie, but still have lots of shows on some of the receivers that I'd like to be able to watch (but don't need to watch live programming). Can I do this?

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    You should have no problem.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Note that you might have to pay the monthly fee as disconnecting these receiver might trigger a return kit

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The HR20-700 stands the best chance of you being able to keep it, and watch shows "offline". So, watch down the other two, keep them active until you're through.

The install will require an upgrade to the SWiM, from the 8 to the 16, as you'll have nine or eleven tuners active, until you "de-accession" some.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The HR20-700 stands the best chance of you being able to keep it, and watch shows "offline". So, watch down the other two, keep them active until you're through.

The install will require an upgrade to the SWiM, from the 8 to the 16, as you'll have nine or eleven tuners active, until you "de-accession" some.
    NOt if a tech does the upgrade

6. FYRPLG

FYRPLG Legend

Nov 11, 2006
    Just from my experience when I got the Genie.
    HR20-700 left on Sat hookup and deactivate it. not able to watch recordings it asks to be activated or similar.
    HR22-100 disconnected sat feed prior to deactivation. I am able to turn on and Watch recorded programs on disk drive.
    Just my experience. Good Luck The Genie is great. they installed a new dish and cable and hookup for the genie. They would not use my dishe as they were mounted on a large fir tree trunk. Tech made several calls and answer was the same. So they had to get a locator company to check the area for a pole mount and burying the cable.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Your experience is what'd be expected and is parallel to mine; my HR20 unhooked then deactivated, still works, though I haven't tried it for six months.

My tech did not take my HR20 on an upgrade; he called home office when I said the policy was they didn't want them; he confirmed it.

If one is really worried about not holding on to the unit when the tech comes, do not deactivate the unit for a few days following the install.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Like the others say, if you disconnect the coax (and ethernet if not an H24/HR24 or newer) before you deactivate the receivers you should be able to watch those recordings for a while. Dont' hook them back up to either of those connections later though or they may get the signal that deactivates them and they won't be able to be used anymore.

Also, be aware that if you deactivate them that whole home DVR will not work with them either. You will have to watch those recordings on whatever TV that receiver is hooked up to.

Finally, the HR23, and HR24 will need to be sent back to DirecTV, so you will want to get the shows watched off them first (otherwise you will end up with a non-return fee if you keep them too long). The HR20 does not need to be returned to DirecTV, but if you have it deactivated while the tech is there then he is supposed to take it with him, so either deactivate that receiver before or after the tech visit.

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Why would you be getting rid of 3 HD DVR's if you get a Genie? You don't NEED to use Genie Clients with the Genie. The Genie will work perfectly well with your existing DVR's. So, keep 2 of your existing DVR's and replace one of them with the Genie. This way, rather than going from the 6 DVR tuners that you currently have to 5 DVR tuners with the Genie, you'd be going from 6 DVR tuners to 9 DVR tuners.

Then try to empty the DVR that you're going to replace. Let's assume that you want to replace the HR20 (but you may just want to do this with the DVR that currently has the least amount of programming already recorded on it). Start shifting all of your season passes from the HR20 to the other two DVR's. Your goal should be that the only time that you record on the HR20 is when you're recording 4 other things on the other two DVR's. At the same time, make a concerted effort to watch the programs that are already recorded on the HR20, rather than watching programs recorded on the other two DVR's. Also, check to see if there are new showings of shows & movies that are already recorded on the HR20 and record them on one of the other DVR's. Once you do that, you can delete the recording on the HR-20. Using these methods, you should be able to empty your HR20 relatively quickly. As soon at that's done, you'll be ready to swap it for a Genie.

10. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    So if I cancel service, do I still get to keep my HR20? I presume if you suspend service you get to keep it for the suspended time as well?

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So if I cancel service, do I still get to keep my HR20? I presume if you suspend service you get to keep it for the suspended time as well?
    Most likely. if you suspend your account yes you get to keep the receivers