1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I move the SWM power inserter?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cypherx, Feb 19, 2011.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Hi guys,

I currently have the SWM power inserter connected directly to one of the 8 ports on the green SWM splitter in my garage. The SWM power inserter also has an IRD connector on it, but it is not used at all. I was thinking of moving the power inserter into my utility room where my router, switch, telephony modem and cable modem reside. I would rather centralize it in that room so that all of those devices can be plugged into a UPS.

Right now in our living room I have an HR24 plugged into an APC UPS, so if there are any power blips the whole thing doesn't have to boot up or disrupt recordings. However if there would be a power issue, the UPS would protect the HR24, but the SWM Power inserter in the garage would be affected and we could potentially have disturbed recording anyway.

So that's my reason for wanting to move it, so it can all be UPS protected in my utility room with all the other networking stuff.

Another question is, I would like to centralize my DECA ICK in that room as well, so it is protected and everything is in one place. Can I plug this into the IRD port on the power inserter and still get Internet connected? Right now the DECA adapter is plugged into an Ethernet jack and coax jack in an unused bedroom.

It would most likely be 30 ft of Commscope RG6-QS cable I would run, and I use PPC EX6 compression fittings. I still have a lot of stuff left over when I rewired the house.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Sure", just remember to move the coax that the PI is connected to over to the red port on the Splitter, or it won't be able to power the SWiM.

3. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Ok that's what I thought, thanks for that confirmation! I will take note which port the power inserter is plugged into now.

So connecting the DECA ICK to the IRD port on the power inserter is ok then? I'd rather run one cable to the utility room, my hole where all my cables are run through is getting tight :)

I have MRV if that matters.

4. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    that will all work fine. red port on splitter to power inserter . To IRD out to your broadband deca. you get both done with one wire.

5. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Great. I just finished moving the power inserter from the cold garage into the utility room. DECA ICK connected to the IRD port and its good. Tested the UPS and everything stayed up and running like it should.

Some pics. I do need some more wire ties to clean up a little more. I'll get to that eventually. As of now, no one ever sees it as I keep the door closed.

Equipment:
    DECA ICK
    Linksys 16 port switch
    Arris Touchtone telephony modem (Cable to telephone service)
    Linksys 320n with DD-WRT firmware
    Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem
    APC BACK UPS LS 500

Everything works. Apps, MRV, Signals on transponders are all in the 90-100 range.

6. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    What's up with the comscope spliter in the middle pic? I hope that is not in the system.

7. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    probably feeding that Arris

8. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    It's on the cable side for the arris(voice) and motorola(data). Levels on the moto modem are +1 dB forward +40 dB return and 38 dB SNR.

That's how they do it here. For some reason they don't believe in using one eMTA for both voice and data. As weird as that is, I decided to buy my own modem.