1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I save money with a dual receiver?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nolow, Jun 30, 2013.

1. nolow

nolow New Member

May 4, 2012
    I am contemplating on switching to Dish from cable. I did not know that Dish/Directv have all these fees.

HD Fee
    Receiver Fee

I do not care if my master bedroom gets standard definition. Would I be able to just use a duel receiver to operate my living room and master bedroom. I do have a guest bedroom that I want to have another receiver. I'm just trying to cut down on the $6 receiver fee.

I'm planning on getting a America's top 120 with an international channel feed.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    The first receiver on the account is included with the package you choose. HD Free for Life is available if you sign up for auto pay or pay a $99.00 upfront charge. Otherwise it is $10.00/month. If you don't care about HD for the second tv then a 722K with the OTA tuner is a good choice. I suggest you contact a DIRT team member by PM http://www.dbstalk.com/user/503431-mikeh-dishnetwork/

3. Jul 1, 2013 #3 of 11
    EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I use the VIP 222K dual tuner reciever. I also put in the OTA module to receive signals from the roof antenna. The HD is free with the autopay. I use the Tuner 1 (HD) in the LR and send the Tuner 2 (SD) down to the other end of the house. The same Tuner 2 goes to each BR. It would be extremely rare that there would be more than one signal needed between the rooms it is sent to. I did not want a DVR so this works very well for us.

My son recently dumped cable and got the 722 dual tuner receiver and is very happy with it. He is paying roughly a little more than HALF for the DISH than he was sending to Time Warner every month.

4. Jul 1, 2013 #4 of 11
    nolow

nolow New Member

May 4, 2012
    Thanks

How does the duel tuner operate as far as changing channels? Does it operate like cable (change channels via TV)? Would I receive all channels (including international channels) on Tuner 2?

5. Jul 1, 2013 #5 of 11
    TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Channels are changed in the receiver, not the TV. However the remote you get for the receiver should also operate your TV. You should receive all channels on both tunners. If memory serves me from when I had my 622 on the SD tuner if you are trying to view a HD channel it "down-res's" the picture to SD.

6. Jul 1, 2013 #6 of 11
    JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    The 722 also supports two RF remotes (on request) so if you pipe the signal around the house you can control the receiver without being in the same room with it. I have my 722 in the basement theater and pipe HD (component video) to a tv upstairs and SD over coax to various TVs around the house. This works great.

7. Jul 2, 2013 #7 of 11
    EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    Another gadget that is really handy with dual tuner receivers is the Channel Plus 3025 Whole House Distribution box. You can find info on it at this Amazon site. Here is another site, SmartHome; this one has the owners manual available to download to see more detail of what is involved to set it up and what it can do.

I feed the DISH AV outputs for tuner 1, tuner 2 and the roof antenna into this gadget. I get four separate coax outputs with the three signals merged. With this, you can access all the signals at all televisions in the house. Really works well.

8. Jul 2, 2013 #8 of 11
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    They actually did away with the paying $99.00, you can only get HD free for life now by signing up for autopay with paperless billing.

9. Jul 2, 2013 #9 of 11
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The agile modulator in the 722/722k already does this outputs TV1 on one frequency that you select and TV2 on a second frequency that you select then you just use a common splitter in reverse to input your locals into the stream, no need for other gadgets. You set TV1 and TV2 outputs to stay 2 channels away from OTA channels and it works - I've done it myself.

10. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=12pt]We would be happy to have you in our DISH family and I am more than happy to assist you with your DISH questions! How many TV’s are in the home and how many are HD? Do you do a lot of recording, if so; is most of it on the four major networks? Would you please PM me to better assist you?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]Thanks[/SIZE]

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I've used a 625 dual tuner DVR with that 3025 and it's a great solution for whole house distribution. It takes care of all the signal balancing for you, AND it has 2 NTSC modulators of it's own (non-stereo) that you can use for other sources (say, an ATSC converter, or a DVD player ). It also works great for ATSC signals on the distribution as well. Unfortunately for me - mine gave out so I could use another one - signal amps and 4-8 way splitters are not the same.