1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use Harmony 880 AND DirecTV remote on same HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by philmalik, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    Right now I have the HR20-700 sending out a signal to the TV in the Home Theatre room (downstairs), and also outputting to a VCR via the RCA jacks. The VCR then sends via coax cable the signal to the upstairs TV. (It was much simpler this way to set up, as the house was already wired for it).

This way, I can watch TV upstairs and control the HR20 which is all the way downstairs via the RF function of the original HR20 remote. (which works great).

I am thinking of getting the Harmony 880 remote to replace the ever increasing number of remotes for downstairs in the home theatre.

My question is:

Will I be able to use the Harmony 880 remote downstairs (where the HR20 is located), and also use the original HR20 remote (via RF function) to control the same HR20 upstairs (when needed)?

(it would never be at the same time, so the remotes would never be "competing")

thanks

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    No you cannot, unfortunately the HR20 cannot receive IR and RF at the same time. If you go to the trouble of switching the remote setup every time, it works but that's a pain.

3. Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    You would need the 890 (it has RF output) to do this, but it's a lot more expensive than the 880. Best price I can find at a quick glance is around $285.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually I don't believe you can control the HR20 natively with the 890, or are you talking about using the DIRECTV remote in the home theatre room via IR, and the 890 upstairs via RF converted to IR? That would work but it seems an odd use of the remotes.

5. Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Why odd? It solves the problem, doesn't it?

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    philmalik, if you do this, make sure you use the discrete on and off commands in the Harmony library for your HR20. One thing a Harmony does is keep track of if a piece is on or off. With the two remotes operating a piece, that can get out of sync. To adjust this, use the Devices tab and for your HR20 go to Settings > Adjust Power Settings. You can then choose to use the discrete Power On and Power Off commands. Those may actually be the default settings from Harmony but you should make sure they are being used.

In fact, your best bet is after you've set up your Watch Television Activity, then for that Activity, go to Settings > Review the settings for this Activity > Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity. Step through that and eventually you'll get to a screen where you can add an additional actions going into that activity. Add a Power On command for your HR20. That way you can be sure your HR20 is on when you go to Watch Television, no matter how you left it in the other room. You could also add a Power Off command for the HR20 when you leave that Activity. The anal among us would do that but it's much less important.

Otherwise this should work just fine.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Odd because you'd be using the Harmony to control just the upstairs TV and DVR, while you'd probably still have a bunch of remotes in the HT (probably more eqiupment there).

8. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Get the 880 for your Home Theater keeping the DVR on IR.

Get one of THESE for the HR20 remote and use it upstairs.

9. philmalik

philmalik Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    To clarify, I was going to use the Harmony 880 DOWNSTAIRS where all the equipment is (including the HR20), and use the original HR20 DirecTV remote UPSTAIRS to control the HR20 that is downstairs using the RF feature.

So, will my grand plan work?

thanks

10. Sport73

Sport73 Cool Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In all honesty, I can't for the life of me imagine why you'd pay for a Harmony when a better solution is another HR20? You've got coax running to your bedroom (pre-wired you said) so there should be nothing (short of a multi-switch) to prevent you from having another HR20 in the bedroom. If it's just to 'place-shift' your shows, setting up an identical 'to do' list on another HR20 is only a few minutes work.

I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Harmony, but I also love my bedroom Hr20 and the fact that I didn't have to engineer a kludgy solution to a simple need.

11. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    We understood.

And this was my suggestion:

12. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    How does getting another HR20 solve his problem of having too many remotes in his Home Theater and wanting to consolidate???

I don't think you actually read the first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.