1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use the Connected Home connection for other devices?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Athenian, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Athenian

Athenian Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    We just got a new (well re-) installation with the Cinema Connect Service. In one room, we have a THD22 that has an Ethernet cable to a white "Connected Home Adapter". Is this an all purpose Ethernet connection? Can I insert a switch between the white box and the DVR and use the connection for another device as well?

Thanks.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It will work if you do that, but is not a recommended configuration.

3. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    I have used that configuration to get internet to my Blu-Ray player for over a year now and have had no problems.

4. Athenian

Athenian Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    That's exactly what we want to do -- there's no cable to that room and the wireless connection is not fast enough.

Thank you.

5. larryk

larryk Legend

Aug 17, 2006
    It will work just fine. I do this in two rooms...

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just be aware that this is not a supported setup by DirecTV, so if you have problems, you might not get the support that you expect.

If you do have problems, I would remove any devices from the DECA cloud that have been added in there and see if the problem persists. If it does, then you can be pretty certain the issue is with your DirecTV setup and not caused by the extra components you had installed.

- Merg

7. Jan 2, 2012 #7 of 14
    fergosie

fergosie New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The only problem I recently had was the switch I used reverted to 10mg speed causing the DVR playback when watching in another room was freezing up. I just had to reset the switch and resume using 100mg speed. So when using a switch be sure it's functioning properly before calling DTV.

8. Jan 2, 2012 #8 of 14
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks for the input, and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

9. Jan 3, 2012 #9 of 14
    cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I too just put a Blu-ray player onto the DECA cloud using an old 10/100 switch between a DECA adapter and an HR20-700. The setup seems to be working fine.

I'm wondering if I would see any benefit spending a few bucks to replace the 10/100 switch with a Gigabit switch.

Does anyone know if the HR20-700 and/or the DECA adapters have Gigabit ports that could take advantage of a Gigabit switch?

Thanks

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes, and "no"

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    10/100 only....

12. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks for that info, VOS and CCarncross. Much appreciated. I'll save the money on getting a new switch and be glad to have a use for the old switch.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've tried using DECA's for other devices. It works, but as others have said it isn't recommended because it could cause issues with whole-home. The Samsung RVU TV seems to do ok on the DECA cloud when pulling Netflix, but that's a fairly low-bandwidth connection.

14. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Using DECA to connect the Blu-ray player wasn't my first choice, but turned out to be the only practical approach in that room. Anything else would have meant money and effort for something that will rarely be used. I have Cat6 pulled just about everywhere else, so that's probably the only thing I'll ever need to add to the DECA cloud.

I know if there are any problems with it, I'm on my own. I'll remove it for testing if I see any issues with whole-home.

Thanks for the advice.