Can local NFL telecasts be streamed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by the2130, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Sep 6, 2016 #1 of 28
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Since this is the first year streaming has been included in the base Sunday Ticket package, I'd like to set up my tablets to keep an eye on some other games while I'm watching a game on TV. I know there is an Android program for Sunday Ticket, but is there a way to stream the games that are blacked out on Sunday Ticket because they are on local TV?

2. Sep 6, 2016 #2 of 28
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Nope. It is one of the biggest flaws of Sunday Ticket. It's not a local team that determines blackouts, it is whatever games are airing on your local CBS/Fox channels. Like when most of the country gets the same 4/4:30 game - no one in that massive zone can stream it.

Directv will blame the locals saying it's up to them to provide streaming. The locals will reply with "if you want to stream games, you need Sunday Ticket." I know this because I have had the same discussion with them 3 different times with different locals.

Check the maps that come out on 506sports.com every week to see what games your locals will ruin - I mean carry.

3. Sep 6, 2016 #3 of 28
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The games your local Fox affiliate airs are available for streaming on tablets and computers via Fox Sports Go

CBS doesn't have any streaming rights to the NFL, so even CBS All Access has to black them out.

On mobile phones, only Verizon Wireless customers can get in market streaming via NFL Mobile

If you have a Genie with mobile DVR you can stream the games directly from your Genie, but it takes up a tuner.

4. Sep 6, 2016 #4 of 28
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Oh - only tablets and computers, I have never tried there. I tried once on my phone but everything was blacked out, even those on my local Fox.

5. Sep 6, 2016 #5 of 28
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sunday Ticket is only for out of market games. Local or national games not included.

And as long as we're at it, Sunday afternoon games only. Nothing from Monday or Thursday either.

6. Sep 6, 2016 #6 of 28
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The NFL gave Verizon Wireless the exclusive rights to in market and nationally televised games on mobile phones, so Fox Sports Go, WatchESPN, WatchABC (for the stations that are the OTA MNF station), NBC Live, NBC Sports Live Extra and Watch NFL Network have to blackout NFL games on mobile phones. If CBS ever came to a deal with the NFL for streaming rights, they would also have to block the NFL games on mobile phones as well.

7. Sep 6, 2016 #7 of 28
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    So if I understand correctly, the Giants-Cowboys game at 4:25, which is on the local Fox station here in Atlanta, can be streamed to my tablet on Fox Sports GO? And the Dolphins-Seahawks game at 4:05, which is on the local CBS station, can't be streamed since it's CBS? But any other Sunday afternoon games can be streamed on the Sunday Ticket app available from Google Play?

Another question: how do they determine whether you are watching on an Android tablet or an Android phone?

8. Sep 6, 2016 #8 of 28
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yes. I don't have the schedule in front of me, but whatever other games that aren't airing on your CBS or Fox affiliate will be on the Sunday ticket app. If you want to see the CBS games that your local affiliate airs, you would need the mobile DVR/GenieGo or use another device like the Slingbox or the HDHomerun and view it that way.

It's kind of complicated, but basically every Android device has build settings that are exposed via an API and apps use that to determine if it's a tablet, phone or other Android powered device. (i.e. Android TV, smart watch, etc)

9. Sep 6, 2016 #9 of 28
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    It makes sense that the locals I spoke to all were clueless about this because they have all been CBS affiliates.

I have Verizon wireless now, where do I stream the games from? What app? I cared more a few years ago when I had to work Sundays.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not exactly. You can only watch any other game that isn't available on one of your local channels.

So the 1pm Tampa @ Atlanta game won't be available either on ST since it is on Fox.

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
  12. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I have an HR54 and the DirecTV app on my tablets. Is that a Mobile DVR? I tested tonight by watching the live TV feed of channel 46 (the CBS affiliate) on my Samsung tablet. Does that mean I can watch the Dolphins-Seahawks game that is on channel 46 Sunday if I use the DirecTV app?

I also noticed that on my Kindle Fire the DirecTV app shows the local Fox affiliate (channel 5), but none of the other locals, even though I have "all channels" selected. Same thing with the DirecTV app on my Samsung phone - all channels selected, but only the Fox station shows up in the guide. I understand I wouldn't be able to watch on the phone anyway, but I'm trying to figure out why the channels don't show up. Any ideas?

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The MobileDVR is being/has been integrated into the DIRECTV App. But I think what you're looking at isn't the MobileDVR.

DIRECTV has had for years, a number of channels you can stream from mobile devices while on the same WiFi network your DIRECTV system is on. You just needed the DIRECTV App. You did not have to have the GenieGo (or nomad).

Since you can watch your local CBS affiliate now, you'll be able to do that Sunday, but only from your home network.

14. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Another option is to have an Slingbox connected to one of your DirecTV boxes. As long as you use component cables no from the DirecTV box to the Slingbox then you can stream any game to your phone, tablet, etc.

15. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks, watching from my home network is all I care about. I want to keep an eye on some other games while I'm watching my main games on the TV.

16. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Slingbox would probably be my first choice except for the fact that the component outputs on my DVRs are going to Hauppauge PVRs.

17. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Any ideas as to why the local channels all show up in the DirecTV app on my Samsung tablet, but only channel 5 appears in the guide on the Kindle Fire and Samsung phone? If not, I'll call DirecTV and see if they know what the issue is. I really hate calling them, because they just make stuff up.

18. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My tablet, Android and Ipad2 only show the local ABC channel.

19. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    FWIW... Here in the Augusta GA market all my locals are available to stream via my DIRECTV Android app. Perhaps it's a matter of which streaming rights were included in the last local station negotiations. (??)

20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Make sure the app on those other devices are registered for Mobile DVR under Settings

If Mobile DVR isn't configured, you only get the things that DirecTV has the streaming rights to. Which is currently the NBC, ABC and Fox O&O's, along with ABC stations that are owned by Hearst.

DirecTV doesn't have any linear streaming rights for PBS, CBS, CW, MyNetworkTV and independents. The only way you get all your locals via the DirecTV app is with Mobile DVR/GenieGO. Without it, the only locals that are available are the NBC, ABC and Fox O&O's and Hearst owned ABC affiliates.