Can NOT get Ethernet jack to activate on H24-200...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by VARTV, Aug 30, 2014.

1. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    I think I've tried every possible way. I have an older set up to were all receivers are interconnected via Ethernet. Works great for us. No interest in CCKs, DECAs, RVUs, MRVs and any other of those abbreviations. I have 4 HR24's, an H21 and the H24-200 giving me trouble. ANY ideas??? Help!!

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    With the Ethernet cable plugged in, do a reset of the receiver and it should disable the built in Deca and use the Ethernet.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you have swim? If so, one cck and they are all connected to the Internet no issues. That's likely the issue is that they are all using deca now and as he said, you have to plug int he Cale reset network defaults and reset the receiver to get it to fire up Ethernet connection. All your receivers have deca built in, so it's a lot easier to connect using deca since it's one device and one connection rather than needing six Ethernet connections just to get pandora and you tube and on demand. (Since you don't want Whole Home Service for some reason)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    @jimmie57 Tried and a no go...

@inkahauts I just have an older setup (before DECA, Genie, etc) and didn't want to do/get any additional parts/equipment. Rooms were wired for Ethernet already.

ALL: Was hoping there was some way to reactivate the jack...

5. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok you keep saying old system but... Is there one or two coax going into your DVRs? You may still have a swim setup. That's what causes deca to activate. You don't need a genie. And All your stuff came after deca. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Is there a quick way to check? Hitting the "dash" key on the remote??

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, if you have SWM it will say so in the on screen message. If not it will just give you the receiver ID number.

8. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    I got the receiver ID number...

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    If you're not seeing "SWM Connected" when you press the remote's Dash key, then you don't have SWM.

10. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Right... I just can't get this one receiver's ethernet jack to activate...

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    How are you confirming the the jack is not “activate”?

12. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    No amber lights flashing...

13. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    I have had this happen when a device connected to the same workgroup switch was "storming" that switch. In my case it was a wireless access point which when rebooted cleared up the problem. I could see the storm using a PC tool called inSSIDer3 it's signal line looked like spray in the screen graph.

This prevented an HR24-500 from engaging the Ethernet connection. I even swapped it with an HR22-100 I had and noted the same dead Ethernet connection. I have had an in wall line require an and fitting replacement once.

Now do you have a laptop you can use to verify that feed from your router or main switch is even active? Make sure the line is active, verify there aren;t devices storming that areas localized switch (assuming you have one there). THat same laptop would be the place for the inSSIDer3 software (3 is free 4 they want money) to validate there is not some wireless device dragging down part of your network.

Don "with everything all interconnected it only takes one screamer to storm out connectivity" Bolton

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah new equipment and old dish. So it's not an issue with it being stuck on deca mode it never should have been on deca mode,

This will sound funny but I'd try two things. First redo satelite setup. Then after that's all done, do a smart search for the keyword clearmybox. Then in a day see what happens. That will reset some things and clear all guide and other auxiliary data that will all have to reload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Bad cat 5 cable??

16. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Now do you have a laptop you can use to verify that feed from your router or main switch is even active? Make sure the line is active... It is active

17. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    These are two things I have NOT tried but will do...

18. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    It's a cat6 and I did verify it works with a laptop with wifi turned off...

19. VARTV

VARTV Godfather

Dec 14, 2006
    Virginia...
    Didn't work...

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    May sound silly but try a different port on your router for the cat cable...

You may well have a bad receiver....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk