1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone explain "Trick Play"?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mrshermanoaks, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrshermanoaks

mrshermanoaks DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 27, 2006
    I think it comes from the TiVo world, but come from ReplayTV, so the casual throwing around of the phrase "trick play" confuses me. Is it a mode? A set of remote clicks, what?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's just the features that let you Fast Forward, Rewind, Pause, Skip 30-sec, Slow Motion, Jump Back, etc.

3. mrshermanoaks

Aug 27, 2006
    OK, thanks. I was wondering if there were some navigation features that I was missing. I'd been looking for ways to, say:

* Jump to a specific minute in the currently viewed show
    * Jump a specific number of minutes ahead or back in the currently viewed show
    * Jump a specific number of days ahead or back in the guide

I've looked over the tips & tricks sheet and didn't see them, the moniker "trick play" made me think there was something more powerful than I've seen.

4. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    I added the old "Trick Play" wording to the Cruise Control section of the HR-20 Tips and Tricks:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68183

Cruise Control is what Trick Play is called now.

Using the red and green buttons, you can move a half day at a time. (p. 1)

The request to move a specific number of minutes is being voted on in the Survey. If you have not taken the survey, it is here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68183

-Craig

5. mrshermanoaks

Aug 27, 2006
    Did that this morning, thank you :)

I also saw in another message today that the "menu" button in the guide may allow me to jump to a specific day, will have to try that when I get home tonight.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    It is a very poor naming choice for these features. I was completely baffled what "trick play" meant as well before I first got my HR20.

8. awursta

awursta Cool Member

Oct 11, 2006
    LOL! I have been lurking in these forums for weeks trying to figure what exactly was trick play. I was sure I was missing something big!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.