1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone turn on HBO2HD right now?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bob13654, Jul 11, 2010.

1. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    Can someone turn on HBO2HD, A Clear and Present Danger is on, and tell me if it looks as bad to you as it does to me?

I just had DirecTV hooked up on Friday and I'm less than satisfied with the PQ compared to Cox Cable that I just left. For the most part, I guess I can live with it, but the HBO channels just look awful. I just turned on A Clear and Present Danger and the digital compression noise is so bad that solid backgrounds almost crawl and faces are marred with flickering pixels and noise. This isn't the first time I've been disappointed with the picture since install, but when I turned on this movie I was just floored at how poor it looks and I've seen it on Cox's HBO feed about a month ago and it was smooth and not plagued with the digital artifacts that I see now.

Before anyone starts going into defense mode, understand I'm not trying to rip on DirecTV. But, I don't want to spend the next two years being pissed every time I turn on the TV either. Please help as I am so disappointed with the PQ that I'm seriously considering eating the cost of my additional equipment and early termination fees after only two days. Help.

2. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    It's an older letter-boxed movie, maybe not a good HD version of the movie that HBO decided to use. I watch HBO regularly and I don't see PQ issues. Have you checked your signal strengths, cable connections? Also, check your receiver HD output to make sure it's set to native or one of the output types (720p, 1080i or 1080p for HD TV's). Sometimes you can accidentally change the format when pressing the button on your remote or the format button on the front face of the receiver.

3. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    I have a clear picture at native 720P. Something is wrong with the connection or your settings on your receiver. Good luck.

4. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    Signal strength is in the mid to upper 90's across the board.

All boxes set to 1080i.

Cable connections are all tight.

It's not just HBO, but HBO seems to be the worst offender. What I'm noticing is that in solid backgrounds (walls, sky, clothing) there are massive compression artifacts that pull your eye away from the action. When watching someone on screen and their suit jacket sort of "flickers", or a wall is crawling with pixels and blocks making a white wall flicker with little off white or yellow blocks, it is quite distracting.

It's not just the picture quality problems that are bothering me. On some channels there is a line at the top of the screen that is black. Almost like a row of pixels that are missing and that's bothering me as well. I would think that it was my TV, but when I press info and put the banner up, it fills the top of the screen and you can see the missing line behind the blue of the info banner, so I know it's not the TV.

I don't know, it's just bothering me. I wanted more channel selection than cable, but I don't want to trade PQ for a dozen or so more premium channels.

I don't suppose DirecTV will credit me back the cost of the additional HD DVR that I got if I pay the early termination fee, would they?

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    HBO typically is very sharp, this copy does seem a little softened. No compression artifacts at all.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You need to calibrate your TV

7. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    All three?

Two of TVs have had an ISF calibration in the past year. Now I know they haven't been calibrated with the DirecTV DVR hooked up, but I wouldn't think they would exhibit this bad of quality when hooked to the same input as my cable DVRs were.

All three of my HDTVs have the same picture problems on the same program. I used MRV to check to make sure it was the exact same source.

Also, I'm using all HR24-100s.

8. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    No issues here - picture always looks great.

Obviously, some movies look better then others (most look great). But that is not D*'s issue as they just pass on to us what they get from each source.

If you are having these issues all the time on many channels, it's something on your end.

I don't know what to suggest for you......

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  10. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    You might try setting your DVR to native format and let your TV do the decoding.

11. jmudukes07

jmudukes07 AllStar

Jul 8, 2009
    No chance in hell you shouldn't be seeing BETTER picture quality on DirecTV when compared to Cox cable.

Anywhere I've ever been Cox cable has had unacceptably awful PQ when compared to DirecTV and Fios.

12. rjdude

rjdude Legend

Mar 8, 2005
    What type of video cables are being used? I assume they would be HDMI if you have newer TV sets.

13. bob13654

bob13654 Mentor

Jul 1, 2006
    All HDMI cables. Exact same ones I used with my Cox DVRs.

I've noticed that the premiums are much worse than the other channels. Most of the regular channels are fairly acceptable, except there seems to be a little yellowish or greenish push on all the DirecTV channels (whites seems off), but the premiums, especially the HBOs and a few of the Showtimes are horrible with the compression noise.

14. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Not to nit pick but those links are actually to posts which are only a little over a year old (May 2009), not 4 years old.

15. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    Strange

16. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire

It's not just you. I have the same problem with HBO. It's not my TV, it's not my connections, it's not my DVR and it's not DTV.....it's HBO!!!

I have not noticed any other channels that are this bad. It makes HBO almost unwatchable.

17. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I agree. Nothing wrong with HBO reception here. Most TV's are factory set to look good in brightly lit showrooms. Calibrating will fine tune your set to peak performance. Do this and you will notice a big difference with picture quality even with SD broadcasts.

18. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    What is odd is that his TV looked fine when connected to his old cable service.

I wonder if his TV was 'calibrated' to the cable box's signal, and needs to be re-done now?