1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the Vip722 be turned off?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by fst96se, Oct 6, 2008.

1. fst96se

fst96se Cool Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Can the Vip722 be actually turned off?

I will be putting it in a dedicated theater room, and would like to really only have it be on when I need it. The room is small, and I canerned about heat and noise.

Thanks!

2. swissy

swissy AllStar

Oct 26, 2007
    The only way to have it "off" is too unplug it. It will always be in standby mode when plugged in.

Mine doesn't normally have the fan running while in standby, so it should be plenty quiet. As for heat, it just needs to be well ventilated.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It does "need to be on" in standby mode to receive guide and software updates. If you unplug it, you will be doing a "hard reboot" every time you start it up which could involve what seems like a substantial waiting time to get a guide update.

Heat is an issue only if you do not have adequate ventilation space on both sides. You can use supplemental fans to keep the box cool, but then noise starts to be a problem.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you truly turned it off, via power strip or other means... then you would not get nightly EPG updates so your guide info would be horribly out of date quickly. You also would not be able to schedule any timers to record anything while it is off... so you'd pretty much be invalidating much of the value in having the DVR.