1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can utv record off different receiver or vcr

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jimbo4571, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbo4571

jimbo4571 New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    this is a different question I have an older dtv receiver which can pick up the Richmond stations in the 800 while my utv is a 5th generation and cannot. Is it possible to set up a configuation where as my UTV can record my other receiver or even for that mattter record off my VCR Thanks for your help.

2. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    No, you'll need a Stand Alone TiVo to acomplish what you want.

3. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Is there any way of making a Dish or DirecTivo or other pvr receivers of recording just as a standalone does?

Where can you find used pvr receivers at for a pretty decent price? How about some with lifetime pvr functionality on them as well that are standalones that are used?

4. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Don't think you can do that. I'm sure someone could figure out a way to reprogram the LINUX on the TiVo and 721, but that would be alot of work IMO.

5. Wedgecon

Wedgecon AllStar/Supporter

Jul 13, 2002
    Also have to find a way to work around the fact that currently none of the satelite based PVR's has a MPEG2 encoder...

6. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Exactly why it would have to be gutted and linux installed fresh.

7. Wedgecon

Jul 13, 2002
    I thought the MPEG2 encoding was done via a MPEG2 chipset? If the processor on the DirecTivo is fast enough to do it in software that might work...Are there any software encoders that work in real time?

8. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    I had seen one somewhere where they were trying to get it to work with TiVo, but I can't find the link. I'll post it when I find it.

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Most real-time MPEG2 encoding is, indeed, done in HARDWARE. In order to do it in SW in real-time, would require one FAST, dedicated processor, with maybe another CPU to handle the rest of the machine.

Given my experiance with this, I have a Hauppage WinPVR250 that can do 12 Mbps CBR MPEG2 captures. I usually make MPEG1's for friends, and using TMPGEnc, It takes my 600 MHz PIII about 3 minutes of processing for 1 minutes of audio/video. So, doing a SWbased Real-time MPEG1 encoder is looking at 1.8GHz - go up from there for MPEG2.

10. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Which is exactly the problem this guy had working it on his DirecTiVo. It was more of a "I can do this" thing rather than acutally real world application.

11. Wedgecon

Jul 13, 2002
    What processor is in the DirecTivo? Does it just have one or is it like the Dishplayer which had one for the receiver and one for the web tv/PVR side?

12. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
  13. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    If your older D* receiver can legally pick up Richmond locals, then your UTV will also.

14. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    But you can't record them to the drive. The UTV can only record SAT broadcasts (as well as the DirecTiVo)...

15. jimbo4571

jimbo4571 New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    how is my utv able to receive the richmond locls along with the Minnneapolis ones. My locals appear 2-60 not in the 800,s thanks

16. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    No one is permitted to receive Richmond locals in Minneapolis. If you are, you must be pirating them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.