1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we lock recorded programs?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ssmark, Jun 14, 2011.

1. ssmark

ssmark AllStar

May 23, 2011
    I have recorded some kids programs that they are allowed to watch only on weekends. I would like to lock them during the week. I can protect them (Lock is On with a 4 digit pass code) but I can play them without entering pass code.

I don't see a "Lock" option on recorded programs.

Am I missing something?:confused:

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Rename them to something boring for the kids, like "New kitchen towel Presentation #1" , "...#2", etc ;)

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    if you lock the channel the recordings were made from it should lock the recording also.

4. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Protecting it only means it won't get erased if the disc gets full, and manually unless you put in the code. It doesn't prevent it from being watched. I also think you have to lock the channel, but have never done it.

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Any chance we can get that in HD? One can always hope.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps you've obsolete version of FW ? ;)

At least L6.35 [622] allow to rename ANY of the recordings.

7. scootercruising

scootercruising New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    They don't list locking recorded content as an option. They have pretty complete info about what can be locked, and how. I can't share a link b/c this is my 1st post, but if you Google "dish network how to lock program" it's the second link and it's on their own website.

Cheers!

8. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    The answer is as n0qcu posted. You need to lock the channel it was recorded on, it will show as a locked event in your recording list.

9. ssmark

ssmark AllStar

May 23, 2011
    n0qcu is right on. I locked the channel (after the programs were recorded) and it shows up as a "Locked Event".

I do have a minor inconvenience as there are other programs that have been recorded on the same channel that I don't want to lock.

To the DN representative here, can I suggest to include another option for "Lock" just like "Protect"?

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Why not ? Propose it to him.

11. ssmark

ssmark AllStar

May 23, 2011
    I have PMed Matt with the request.

12. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    Can't you just unlock those programs from that channel you don't want locked?

13. ssmark

ssmark AllStar

May 23, 2011
    If I understood tampa8 correctly ...... I have not seen a feature to individually "Lock" or "Unlock" a recorded program.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Correct. The ONLY way to lock a recording is to lock the channel it recorded from. One cannot lock individual programs or folders of programs.

An option to consider would be an external drive. You can transfer "private" content on to the external drive and physically remove it (perhaps placing it in a lock box) to keep the content from being easily seen. The program can be played back from the USB drive (no transfer required).

Note that previously recorded program titles show up in your daily schedule - even after deleted or moved to USB.

15. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    But that's not what I proposed. OP said what I and others proposed will work - to lock the channel from where the program recorded came from. Then you have a locked program.

Then the OP said the only problem is there are other programs from that channel recorded, that are locked that he wants to be able to watch. You can unlock those individual recorded programs from the DVR which is what I proposed. You do not have to unlock the channel.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You cannot unlock individual programs from a locked channel in a manner that leaves them unlocked in the guide.

Say you recorded "How To Train Your Dragon" and "Bride of Chucky" ... both off of HBO 2. You decide that you don't want the kids to be able to play "Bride of Chucky" and want it locked. You can lock channel 301 and both programs (and anything else recorded from 301) get locked.

Both programs show up in the recorded program list as "Locked Event". You cannot unlock one and leave the other locked. If the kids want to watch HTTYD you have to figure out which "Locked Event" it is and unlock it for them each time and every time they want to watch.

17. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    I think it is a matter of communication! Lol... I didn't say it would stay unlocked.
    I am saying the OP can watch a program that is locked, he commented he had programs from the same channel he did not want to lock. True there will be, but that doesn't mean he has to unlock the channel to watch them. :)
    His response made me think he didn't realize that. You can unlock an individual program. That's all I'm saying....

18. ssmark

ssmark AllStar

May 23, 2011
    I understood what Tampa8 is saying. Yes, I unlock the recorded programs to watch - I don't unlock a channel to watch a recorded program that was recorded on this locked channel. This can get confusing real fast :)

DN can help in giving lock features at various levels - recorded programs, folders along with ability to remove the history of recorded events in the schedule.