1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you change Genie (HR44) Remote Function Prompts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JB3, Jun 1, 2013.

1. JB3

JB3 Mentor

Oct 2, 2006
    I'm getting familiar with my new HR44 Genie and have pretty much decided to use the older IR based standard DirecTV Remote (RC65) rather than the new RF/IR small remote (RC71) that came with the unit.

The only drawback I can see to this approach is that when you're in a screen that displays prompts/tool tips for the Remote, the HR44 displays those tool tips for the RC71. So for example at the bottom of the Guide screen, you'll see the << and >> keys rather than red and green for previous or Next 12 hours.

Both the red and green buttons on the RC65 do work as well as the << and >> (also on the RC65). I'm just looking for a way to make this less confusing for everyone in the family.

Is there some way to tell the HR44 to display the other prompts?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No. The prompts assume you are using the RC71 (or might be).

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    So just have them use the << and >> keys, end of confusion.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    easy peasy.....

5. JB3

JB3 Mentor

Oct 2, 2006
    Thanks!

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    So just have them use the > keys, end of confusion.

Yes. The FF and REW buttons work even on older dvrs. You can keep using the color buttons if you want but both work no matter what the tips say.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes. The FF and REW buttons work even on older dvrs. You can keep using the color buttons if you want but both work no matter what the tips say.

We know it works, but the question is/was to change "match" the OSD display to the buttons, which we know is not possible

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app