Can you have two Genies?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Soulweeper, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Sep 3, 2017 #1 of 17
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I have an HR44 in my living room, and an owned HR24 in the bedroom. I just upgraded to a 4K tv. I'm having some macro blocking issues, that may or may not be the fault of the Genie. Still trying to diagnose, via process of elimination. However....in talking to someone on AVS Forums, who also has Directv...he asked me if it could be the box, and which model did I have, as he an had an HR34 that gave him macro blocking on recorded content only. Weird, but it did. He replaced it with an HR54.

So....even though I can't necessarily blame the HR44, I'm thinking it may not hurt to get the lasted one, and I am looking at an owned one on Ebay, and what I'd really like, if I buy it, is to put the HR44 in the bedroom, as it has a bunch of recorded stuff that I'd rather not just lose, and it's so muchh faster than the HR24, and then the HR54 would go in the living room.

But, I seem to remember something about them not allowing two Genies, for some weird reason.

Also....I just have an SL3 lnb.....does that need to be changed with an HR54?
    And has anyone noticed any difference in picture quality with an HR54, or know if it has a better video processor??

Thanks, in advance!

2. Sep 3, 2017 #2 of 17
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    And also......can you own a Genie? The CSR is saying no, but there are a few owned ones on Ebay.

3. Sep 3, 2017 #3 of 17
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You can not have more than one genie on a account. But yes you can own one

4. Sep 3, 2017 #4 of 17
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    I thought you couldn't have more than one, but the ownership thing I wasn't sure about. The CSR was adamant that you can't own one, but I think the only people that can really say is the access card department. He said the receiver ID didn't pull anything up, so that's weird too. I don't think he knew what he was doing, as I've done this before...not with a Genie. He couldn't even pull anything up with the serial number.

5. Sep 4, 2017 #5 of 17
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You need to upgrade your HR44 to either a HR54 or HS17 Genie 2 to have access to 4K service. The HR54 does not send a 4K signal to your TV, it needs a client for that. The HS17 Genie 2 is a headless server and only works with clients. If your new 4K Ultra HDTV is RVU (DIRECTV 4K ready) you can use it as a client, if not you'll need a C61K-700 client for 4K service. You should future proof your LNB to a Reverse Band LNB. As previously stated, you can own a Genie but AT&T/DIRECTV only allows one Genie per account.

6. Sep 4, 2017 #6 of 17
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You already have a 44 and you're trying to buy one off eBay. Are you setting up a second account? Replacing your first 44? You won't be able to get them to activate a second Genie on the same account.

Soulweeper likes this.
  7. Sep 4, 2017 #7 of 17
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the TS open a few threads creating huge wave of controversial things ... it's hard to comprehended his desire, IMO

Soulweeper likes this.
  8. Sep 4, 2017 #8 of 17
    Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm not that concerned about 4K content at the moment. Was just thinking of upgrading, to get the latest one, and possibly eliminate the macro blocking issues I'm having. It may or may not solve that, but it can't hurt, and then if I change my mind about 4K, I'm ready. Thanks for the tip about the tv possibly being Directv 4K ready. And, what is a reverse band LNB? Went from a 2004 DLP, to this 4K Sony, so learning some new stuff, haha.

9. Sep 4, 2017 #9 of 17
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think you are right, I've had my owned 44 for a few years. And they never stop telling me it's impossible.

Rich

10. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Yeah, it's kind of comical.

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    While not a necessity now Reverse Band LNBs will be needed for future delivery of 4K content.

12. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Gotcha.....thanks!

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not impossible to own, but I think it's rare enough that I can see a CSR think it's impossible.

I've actually had an installer here on the phone with support and hear them talking, saying things like "I don't know how, but this is coming up as owned."

14. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Kind of funny....I tried one more time today, as the seller dropped the price $100, after I told him it would most likely activate as leased. Figured just maybe....I'd get lucky. Anyway, got a supervisor, and he said he was above the Premier Care department, so he knew what I was referring to, but he said there's no problem owning a Genie. Polar opposite of the guy last night. Regardless, I even got the access card number, and that didn't pull anything up. No matter what that HR54 will activate as leased.

15. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I have an owned HR54 from an ex-DirecTV employee since early this year. It was quite the hassle making sure it was activated as owned not leased.

16. Soulweeper

Soulweeper Icon

Jan 9, 2005
    Had he ever activated it though? This one I was looking at, has never been activated at all.

17. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If it has never been activated then it is not "owned", it will come up as leased because it's no different from any other receiver in the warehouse. It only becomes "owned" when the employee activates it.

Rich and Soulweeper like this.