DBSTalk Forum banner

Can you hook up an OTA with the HR44?

26K views 64 replies 27 participants last post by  khark 
#1 ·
We just got the HR44. I don't see anything for an OTA. Is it possible to use on the HR44?
Thanks!

#5 ·
Also keep in mind that one of the necessary cables does not come with the AM21. I was lucky I had an extra one I was able to scrounge up. I can't remember what it is called. Perhaps Stuart can describe it better?

#6 ·
Supramom2000 said:
Also keep in mind that one of the necessary cables does not come with the AM21. I was lucky I had an extra one I was able to scrounge up. I can't remember what it is called. Perhaps Stuart can describe it better?
It's a standard two prong power cord, the same that would be used with any HR2x, H2x, HR34, or D12. On an AM21 with a non-HR44 you just use the power cord for the receiver...for the HR44 you have to supply your own. DirecTV will send you one for free if you don't have one lying around.

#7 ·
JBv said:
It's a standard two prong power cord, the same that would be used with any HR2x, H2x, HR34, or D12. On an AM21 with a non-HR44 you just use the power cord for the receiver...for the HR44 you have to supply your own. DirecTV will send you one for free if you don't have one lying around.
Well specifically the power cord used by the AM21(N) is the polarized version of the IEC C7 connector, "C7P."

With a matching polarized "C8P" inlet on the AM21 itself. So make sure its this particular AC line such as here;
http://www.infinitecables.com/pop/pw-114.htm
or it will not fit.

Which interestingly enough is no longer part of the official IEC 60320 standard according to the WiKi.

Also for safety make sure to place the supplied black insulating cap over the end of the AM21N's unused AC power pigtail as its open contact ends though recessed inside the body of the plug are nevertheless charged with 110 to 120 volts.

#9 ·
Hello. I am brand new to DirecTV (satellite TV in general!) and have only one issue with it...hoping the AM21 is the solution! I get all of my OTA channels through the satellite except one. Our local station has a channel that broadcasts live doppler radar 24 hours a day. We us this station often when storms are approaching.

I was reading the setup instructions for the AM21 and I'm a little concerned with whether or not it will receive this channel....since the setup of channels is automatic by zip code there doesn't seem to be a way to add channels manually. With this not being a normal/network channel I'm worried it won't be on the list. Is there a way to add channels manually or is there a way to verify what local channels DirecTV includes for my zip code?

Also wanted to confirm that the channel will be available on all TV's connected to my HR44.

Thanks for the help!!

#10 ·
Hello. I am brand new to DirecTV (satellite TV in general!) and have only one issue with it...hoping the AM21 is the solution! I get all of my OTA channels through the satellite except one. Our local station has a channel that broadcasts live doppler radar 24 hours a day. We us this station often when storms are approaching. If I get the AM21 can I just set it up for that one channel and leave the rest of the local channels as is through the satellite? I just have a small set-top antenna that is fine for pulling in this one station but not great for the others.

Also wanted to confirm that the channel will be available on all TV's connected to my HR44.

Thanks for the help!!

The AM21 channels are for the unit it is connected to only. If you record a ota channel it can be viewed by all units on the whole home system. If you want live ota you will need a AM21 in each room. You select the ota channels you want in the guide after scanning. Ota channels can be handy in heavy rain events, they are not as subject to rain fade. I get 11-2 in North Georgia out of Atlanta, it has 24-7 weather and radar.

#11 ·
also note that if you have Genie/client set up, one AM21 will feed these receivers but a maximum of 2 OTA channels can be watch at the same time

#12 ·
peds48 said:
also note that if you have Genie/client set up, one AM21 will feed these receivers but a maximum of 2 OTA channels can be watch at the same time
Ah, I did not realize that. I guess that is another positive for genie and mini-genie vs other types of clients such as a HD receiver or DVR.

Thanks peds48

I had all but decided to stick with my H24 in the bedroom and not get a mini-genie replacement, I could live without the live buffer advantage with this infrequently used receiver but the pros keep stacking up in favor of the mini-genie paired with the genie compared to a H24 paired with the genie on whole home.

#14 ·
peds48 said:
Just so I'm clear then...I can watch the OTA channels on any TV with a Genie client with a maximum of 2 channels at a time. I am still nervous that the channel I want won't be in the guide though since its just radar. I thought it would be OK when I read that the Genies would scan for channels but it sounds like that's not the case anymore.

#16 ·
Just so I'm clear then...I can watch the OTA channels on any TV with a Genie client with a maximum of 2 channels at a time......
Yes. and the two OTA tuners will not add to the 5 of the Genie. so it will be always be five regardless where they are coming from

#17 ·
ticmxman said:
Ah, I did not realize that. I guess that is another positive for genie and mini-genie vs other types of clients such as a HD receiver or DVR.

Thanks peds48

I had all but decided to stick with my H24 in the bedroom and not get a mini-genie replacement, I could live without the live buffer advantage with this infrequently used receiver but the pros keep stacking up in favor of the mini-genie paired with the genie compared to a H24 paired with the genie on whole home.
I'm still a little confused about the ability to access live buffers from a genie client. Say I watched Channel A and Channel B on the client (swapping tuners in Doubleplay) before going to bed at night, the next morning would I be able to access the live buffers for ch A and/or ch B from the client. If so, could the power saving feature affect that? I imagine that if the HR44 had scheduled recordings or many DirectTV PPVs to do overnight it might have an affect. I ask because I like to wake up to a specific channel and backup my live buffer 15 mins, so I can skip commercials. I can currently do that on my HR24 without having to record or play anything.

Why do I ask? I had an HR44 installed in the living room this past week, and a C41 in the basement. An HR24 is now in my bedroom, but I'm considering swapping the latter 2 devices for a quieter bedroom.

#19 ·
Channel B (buffer) would get dropped after two hours of inactivity. Channel A, (buffer) would get drop once you turn the Genie off.

#21 ·
itzme said:
I ask because I like to wake up to a specific channel and backup my live buffer 15 mins, so I can skip commercials. I can currently do that on my HR24 without having to record or play anything.
Set a recording for your desired channel and time, a series link with a maximum keep of one program. Buffers are nice, but you just can't count on them in too many situations.

Enjoy!

#26 ·
Great! Thanks for looking that up for me. Now I've got all the pieces to the puzzle...can watch OTA on Genie clients and the channel I need is in the database. I'll go ahead and get one ordered! Thank you everyone for your help!!!!

I'm in your market and I have a genie with the old software. Haven't received new software yet.
Channels not in the guide are: 20-2, 43-1, 43-2, 43-3, 55-2 these channels show regular schedule.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.