1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you make a high band only from a all vhf antenna?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by southofi-10, Oct 28, 2018.

1. southofi-10

southofi-10 Cool Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Wondering if you can trim the longer elements and make a all band uhf/vhf antenna into a uhf/high band antenna. I see the stacker antenna is made simuliar to the older antennas with shorter elements.Wanted to know if I could just trim elements to get a higher gain on the 7-13 channels

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if it's logo-periodic kind then no, distance and length of each element calculated based on RF range
    perhaps a picture of your antenna would tell us more

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The spacing of the elements you trim would not be spaced to optimally interact with one another.

There is an "Official AVS Antenna and Related Hardware Topic" thread in the HDTV Hardware section at AVSForums where there are some hobbyists and experimenters who can coach you on this.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Trim the elements, ruin the antenna, go buy another one.

5. southofi-10

southofi-10 Cool Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It"s a rca 3036r. I'm sure I'll just keep as is,but in my area I don't need the low end of vhf

Attached Files:

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes, for this type, you can safely remove all VHF elements, but it wouldn't rise a gain of UHF range, other disadvantage - a balance, you'll need to adjust a position of must's holder to bring chopped antenna to its center of mass.