1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you select which DVRs act as servers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by cover, Jul 19, 2010.

1. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Sorry if this is already covered - I didn't see it in the FAQ.

I understand from the FAQ that for any given DVR, you can view the local playlist or the combined MRV playlist.

My question is are all connected DVRs automatically MRV servers? For example, if you have 5 DVRs can you select only 3 to be servers that show up in the combined MRV playlist while the other 2 have access to view but not contribute to the combined playlist.

Thanks!

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes .. Just go into the the setup for the systems you don't want as a "sever" and stop sharing them ..

Menu > Parental, Fav's & Setup > System Setup > Whole-Home > Sharing

(or something close to that .. doing by memory)

3. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks, Doug!

4. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you stop sharing them then wouldn't they NOT be available from any other DVR?

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Correct.

6. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire

Then the correct answer is NO....

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The correct answer is YES. Not having them available to the other DVR's is exactly what the OP was asking to do.

On the two that you don't want to be in the unified playlist, you do as Doug says:

menu - parental,fav's & setup - system setup - whole home - share playlist - NO

On the same two units, go to list - yellow button - filter by playlist - ALL

You will be able to view all the other DVR's (that have allowed sharing), but the other DVR's will not be able to view it, just like the OP was requesting.