Can you spell petty? (Hint A-T-T or H-B-O)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by pogo, Feb 17, 2020.

1. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm a faithful Dish subscriber (Flex package - get channels you actually watch and avoid a bunch you don't). My best case world would be one where I could once more integrate HBO into my Hopper lineup. Well that ain't gonna happen. Currently I've added HBO to my Prime account. I had always watched oh either Firestick or my Tivo Prime Video app. I did know that a Prime Video app had been added to my Hopper some time back but I'd never really used it. I happened be on the Hopper today when I realized I had missed John Oliver last night so i fired up the Prime Video app. I found and selected the show -- I see a synopsis of the current episode below which is the notice:
    "HBO restricts viewing on this device." Good lord, they're so petty they won't even let my paid for Prime video access to HBO play simply because it would be running on a Dish
    Box?! Oh well.

dennispap likes this.
  2. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Not Dish's fault. Amazon forgot to add Dish to this also.

Issues Watching a Prime Video Channel on My Comcast Xfinity or Cox Contour Device
    Some providers have restricted their Channel through Prime Video on Comcast Xfinity and COX Contour devices.

• CBS All Access is not available to sign up to or watch through Prime Video on Comcast X1 Xfinity devices.
    • Current HBO subscribers through Prime Video are able to watch this Channel on a Comcast X1 Xfinity device. Customers are able to sign up for this channel using any other supported device.
    • Current Cinemax subscribers through Prime Video are able to watch this Channel on a Comcast X1 Xfinity device. Customers are able to sign up for this channel using any other supported device.
    • CBS All Access, HBO, and Cinemax are not available through Prime Video on COX Contour devices.
    Amazon.com Help: Issues Watching a Prime Video Channel on My Comcast Xfinity or Cox Contour Device

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Could be relevant If I had posted about Comcast. I presume that you could subscribe to HBO on Comcast. I can't subscribe to HBO on
    Dish.

4. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Well... in the case of HBO/Cinemax it makes sense Comcast & Cox lose out on revenue they could have made if the customer just subscribed to HBO/Cinemax directly through them.

In the case of Dish why would a content owner allow their content be available via Amazon Prime Channels to a distributor that they are in a dispute with? I'm sure eventually the ability to watch Showtime, Epix and Starz content via Amazon Prime Channels will also be restricted on Dish, Comcast and Cox as well as this would be used against them during potential contract disputes.

CBS is known to be one of the content owners who want to negotiate for CBS All Access to be on a platform. If the content is available via Amazon Prime Channels what incentive does Comcast, Cox and Dish have to negotiate with CBS to add the actual standalone CBS All Access app?

5. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    I guess what you say makes sense, except I don't think that video streaming from Amazon Prime through an app on my Hopper could be construed as content being available to Dish. The app just runs on Dish hardware. WRT what incentive would cable/dish customers have to subscribe diirectly?
    Price being the same, how about an integrated program guide and the ability to record. I'd ditch the Prime video access to HBO in a heartbeat for that.
    CBS all access? I'm not sure what their business model is there. I already have access their programming and there is almost no incentive for me to pay them to stream whenever I want.

6. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    What i am saying is in that Amazon post, they just left out Dish network in the list of companies.

"HBO, Cinemax, and CBS All Access are not currently available through the Prime Video app on the Hopper 3"

MyDISH
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  7. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    How are you getting the cbs all access without paying for it?

8. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I said I already have access to CBS programs. I didn't say I had CBS all access. My actual musing was that I couldn't understand why anyone would want it.

9. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Because they enjoy watching programs like "The Good Fight", "Star Trek: Discovery", "Star Trek:Short Treks", "Star Trek: Picard", "The Twilight Zone", "Strange Angel", "Tell Me A Story", "No Activity", "One Dollar", and "Why Women Kill"?

dennispap likes this.
  10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is more to all access than you get without all access.

NYDutch likes this.
  11. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Peace. I understand that. I just think it's a dubious thing to try to jump into a business sector late that's already dominated by a few providers.
    Maybe that's why most of the hits if you google them feature it as an economical way to see missed CBS programs. OTOH I suppose it's no secret that I'm not a Trekkie.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    CBS all access is actually very early and recently announced they are going to expand a lot in the next year or so... they along with HBO max, peacock, fx (or whatever it will be actually called), and Disney plus are the real Providers to watch out for. Netflix is going to look like the WB network in a few years... (which will still be a lot better than looking like the UPN network.. ;) ) and prime will probably continue to just be what it is today unless they can break into sports.

People really haven’t seen the large players jump in at all yet... but that’s starting to change. Up till now it’s been a few upstarts who’ve done well but they aren’t nearly as dominant as they are their stock prices what you to think they are. There is plenty of room for all of them too...

13. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    After Disney purchased FX as part of its 20th Century Fox purchase Disney is going to beef up Hulu with FX content since its TV-MA content can't go on Disney+. There won't be a standalone FX service now. That's why in their ads they are now pushing "FX on Hulu".

Dishdude714 likes this.
  14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It won’t surprise me if someday Hulu becomes 20th century streaming, or the like.... basically anything they own and can’t put on Disney +, after all their other contracts run out and channels don’t all reup with them and instead do their own direct to consumer offerings.

Dishdude714 likes this.