1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you spot the problem?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Manctech, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I asked the guy "So what problem are you having?" He replies - "I'm not getting my HD channels!" - Can you spot the problem?

[​IMG]

I say "For how long?" ... He replies "Ever since they switched to that three and five lnb deal....

2. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Not Being a DirecTV Tech, I'm going to say the dish (LNBs).

It sure doesn't look like any o fthe D* dishes I pass on my commute.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Is the dish's orientation wrong? It looks as though the dish's long axis and LNBs are vertical or perpendicular to the Clarke belt and looks as its due to the J mast being upside down or something.

What kind of dish is that anyhow with two LNBs mounted outboard from the center like that?

4. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    HAHAH! I like the reply. I too had no clue what I was looking at. Apparently this was a 1st generation triple-sat. It picked up the 101/110/119 birds.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It looks more like a Phase II dish, since the "triple-sat" is the Phase III

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
  7. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Looks right to me!

8. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK, photograph angle must have been taken from well beneath the dish so I initially thought the dish's long axis was vertical to the Clarke belt at first. :D

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The problem is not having HD - LNBFs; tell him to buy newest Ka/Ku 3 LNBF in one block, could be SWiM type if he has compatible STBs. That 3xLNBF block serve 99/101/103 main core sats and HD MPEG-4 channels.

10. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    The whole post was a joke. He wasn't getting HD channels because he had an archaic phaseIII type dish. He knew why he wasn't getting any HD channels. It's the type of thing us service techs put up with.

It was. To put the dish up he told me he put a ladder in the back of a pickup truck. Told me it was completely safe! I ended up moving the dish to a much lower pitch roof. Also the cables went straight through the shingles. He had done a self install >_<

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Exactly, but that was the whole point of the teaser question. Can you guess what's wrong here in the photo for why the customer could not receive any HD channels. ;)

12. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    I haven't seen one of those dishes in service for quite some time.

13. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    Yep this dish was the first gen of hd dish were you converted the old 2 lnb phaseII to a phaseIII. This went out of production in 92-93 and we quit converting them in 94.

If you have one, still good for sd on the 101 or a big paper weight small boat anchor.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Think we have a typo:

Phase II dish:
    DirecTV introduced this dish in 1998. Equipped with 4 outputs, it can also come with two or even 3 LNBs. The signals it receives are from satellites which are at 101 and 119 degrees.
    Phase II plus dish:
    This dish was named after the previous one because of the fact that it’s very similar to it. The only major difference is that it is equipped with one extra LNB. While the phase II dish was able to receive signals from satellites at 101 and 119 degrees, the phase II plus dish has the capability of receiving signals from satellites at 110 degrees. It has 4 outputs.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The way I understood it at the time was that the Phase II plus dish was the same as the Phase II with the exception that the 4 x 4 multiswitch mounted on the rear of the original Phase II dish was now integrated into the LNB mount. So the "kit" parts of the optional "Sat C kit" were not necessary.

That is to say the Sat C LNB (if added) would simply plug into the 110 slot between the 101 and 119 LNBs without the need to install a 110/119 diplexer and interconnecting patch cables to the 119 LNB, etc. as with the previous Phase II.

But this aside, this really doesn't look like an actual Phase II dish which didn't have the 101 and 119 LNBs mounted outboard from a straight support arm and with their cables exposed that way.

As the Phase II LNBs connected into to a triangular-like adapter on the end of the support arm with the cables hidden inside and running through them to the rear of the dish.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    We're talking ancient history here, so it's hard to know the manufacturer. but whether it's a Channel Master Gain Master, or another maker's Phase II, it looks to be a Phase II.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK, how about "Phase II equivalent?" :D

Anyway, dropping the subject now, but historical review is interesting and fun sometimes, even ancient ones? ;)

P.S. And I do love Manctech's occasional "can you guess what's wrong in this picture" teasers ...

18. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010

Thank you. This one was meant more as satire. The guy had waited this long to upgrade and did it by setting up a service call!