1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian content on Dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by krupina, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krupina

krupina New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Hi,

I'm trying to find out if any Canadian programming is available on Dish. Ideal would be an actual Canadian channel (CBC, CTV). Second best would be any Canadian programs on on channels carried by Dish.

The only example I know of like this is that a few years ago when I had Time Warner Cable I could get CBC's The National on an international news channel I had, but that channel no longer exists.

Any suggestions for me?

2. cpdretired

cpdretired AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 25, 2003
    You may condsider installing a Starchoice setup. To get activation you would have to go thru a broker. There is no CBC or Canadian content on Dish.

3. Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    I wish we had the availablity to get Canadien and British channels. I'm not talking BBC America either.

4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    This is one of those FCC and CTC issues; that is, even though DISH has the capability of sending Canadian TV stations into the United State; the NAB and FCC under the guise of copyright issues; prohibit transmission. This is also the reason why we can get English language channels outside the US (BBC, ITV, Seven, Nine and Ten, etc.). Many shows which air in the US, also air on these channels. So, the NAB exclusivity for local stations which prevent Americans from receiving distant signals also affects television from Britain, Australia and Canada. However, if you live in Canada, not only can you get Canadian TV distant signals, but one can get FOX, ABC, NBC and CBS. This is on ExpfressVu (owned by Echostar).

As for Canadian programming. VOOM World Sports used to carry the CFL, until VOMM went under. When Canada has elections CBC is carried live during the election returns on C-SPAN. Some of the Canadian based NHL games are direct CBC feeds especially HNIC (Hockey Night in Canada) broadcasts. There is a network (America One) (KCDO in Denver/Sterling) which lists CFL games during the regular season.

The chances of other than what is noted here, the chances of DISH or DirectTV offering CBC, Global CTV, CITY, TV Ontario, etc. is slim to none. If one were to live near the border (Detroit, Niagara Falls, Bellingham) maybe an installer could do something to provide receivers for ExpressVu and DISH, but anywhere else that could cause some raised eyebrows. At one time ExpressVu and DISH network shared the same satellites; I am not sure if that is the case today.

5. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    There is no ExpressVu. It is BellTV Canada, not owned by EchoStar.

6. Jori5280

Jori5280 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    CBC's HNIC can be seen on NHL Network.

7. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    There's nothing preventing DISH or DirecTV from carrying the Canadian news channels, or from working with CBC to come up with a Canadian equivalent of BBC America. Unfortunately, there's probably not enough demand. (DISH never carried NewsWorld International, it was only on DirecTV -- and was one of my favorite channels!)

Isn't it strange that we can get TV from all over the globe, except NOT from our northern neighbors?

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are rights issues on many channels, but yes, a Canadian channel that doesn't air content that is exclusive to US cable/TV networks could be carried on DISH/DirecTV.

9. krupina

krupina New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I'm sorry to hear that there's basically almost no Canadian content now and very slim chance of getting more (particularly any actual channels), but it's good to know the situation.

I remember watching CBC news on Newsworld International a few years ago; I'm sorry that's now gone.

Thanks again.

10. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    Most of the programs from CBC I've had to get from BitTorrent. Sure it's not right but if the channels and DBS systems don't carry the shows you really want to see, you have no other choice (unless you want to wait months/years for them to FINALLY show it).

As for the CBC news, I have an ASX file below which runs in WinMP. I've recently changed the streaming address so it works again. Check it out. Pretty good PQ for a streaming channel, BTW.

11. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
    The easiest way is to have a relative up north and set them up with a sling box and then you could get all the canadian content you wanted.

Then while you are doing that; set yourself up with a sling box so they can get your American content from you too.:)

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We'd rather discuss legal subscriptions here ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.