Canadian with American cottage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tigcan24, Oct 21, 2020.

1. tigcan24

tigcan24 New Member

Oct 21, 2020
    Looking for advice for adding receivers. Canadian Family owns a cottage in US, with an active directv subscription. Hypothetically let’s say I wanted to activate 10 more receivers, what’s the best way to do this? Can I just order 10 receivers from solid signal, I know they are refurb, and have them activate them? Any other suggestions?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What are the model numbers of your current equipment?
    What type of satellite dish?

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Hypothetically a cottage with over 10 receivers is going to set off alarm bells. It sounds like you're planning on violating AT&T|DIRECTV's terms of service (and Canadian law if installed in Canada).

SamC likes this.
  4. tigcan24

tigcan24 New Member

Oct 21, 2020
    HR24 and slimline dish

5. MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    Hypothetically I have 9 receivers that puts me right at the limit of the 13-channel LNB. As long as all receivers are configured for the same zip code to receive the same local programming. You can hypothetically have multiple dishes for the main house and a Casita and maybe a garage.

tigcan24 likes this.
  6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There is a limit on how many receivers you can have on an account, and adding a large quantity will certainly set off alarm bells. DirecTV will most likely insist on sending an installer.

Also, as noted, it "sounds like" you are planning to violate terms of service, which this forum does not endorse or support.

SamC likes this.
  7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Having had 12 HRs active until a few years ago I have to ask: What is that limit? Is this something that happened after the merger?

Rich

tigcan24 likes this.
  8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It is pretty easy to use public records to find out how large a house is. I'm sure yours is fairly large just to have enough rooms for 12 TVs. A "cottage" that's probably under 1000 sq ft would not. Heck, my mom's house is 5000 sq ft and doesn't have that many rooms. She'd have to double up TVs in a couple to get to 12 :)

If I was AT&T I'd pay extra attention to accounts near the northern and southern borders, where is probably where the majority of their account fraud occurs.

9. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I have ‘cottages’ in areas I inspect in that are over 10,000-15,000+ sq ft in living area alone. Owners still refer to them ‘cottages’ many times because it’s their 2nd home. We get a ton of Illinois folk coming to their 2nd homes in WI all over the place, so it’s a commonly used term.

There’s no limit/logic/policy to one receiver/TV in a room. I have 5 alone in my basement bar/theater room for Sunday Ticket and other stuff. I added a owned H24 in April, then got a free HR24 in June from DirecTV no questions asked- put the HR in my detached garage. Those were #17 and 18 on my account.

The installers don’t care either, as long as they do their test on my Genie or a client before they leave- the get to close out the job and get paid. ATT doesn’t care- it’s more profit for them.

Regarding public records on size of home- that’s not as easy as one thinks. Many times the municipalities don’t have official records of every house, nor number of rooms, so ATT would have to rely on Realtor records (not necessarily official) or try to talk to an assessor (many of which are subcontracted and hard to reach). Even with that, it’s not always accurate as people do remodeling work without permits all the time.

ATT has other fish to fry then to go on a wild goose chase to inspect homes and verify number of receivers/TV’s. And even if they did, owners can refuse entry. It will never happen. :)

Rich likes this.
  10. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    I'm going to go out on a limb here. Most people (US) don't have a basic understanding about zip codes or how they work. Nine different regions serve the US and associated territories. I've had opportunities to read/ utilize ZIP code books in the days prior to the internet. Darn I'm a day older then yesterday.

11. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I'll climb out onto that limb and say you are missing some understanding, too. There are in fact 10 regions, not nine.

ejbvt and tenpins like this.
  12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Installers solve the biggest problems with large receiver count accounts - account stacking. When an installer installs the equipment it confirms that it is in one household. Whether or not it stays in one household after the install cannot be controlled, but it could slow down someone who would buy 10 receivers then share them in multiple households. It is NOT profitable for AT&T when households get service for the price of an extra receiver. AT&T|DIRECTV wants every household to pay for a subscription package - not just the receiver fee.

13. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    To be fair, I don’t think the OP stated he was looking to violate the TOS and account stack- he was merely asking a question which I don’t think is unreasonable. I have more receivers at my place than what he was looking for. There’s an expensive house near me that has 38 receivers installed.

To stretch this out into a ATT profitability issue is a little too much in my opinion, along with a lot of speculation.

studechip and compnurd like this.
  14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Do you realize that YOU were the one that brought up AT&T profitability. :D

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never had 12 TVs. I did have 12 HRs for quite a while. Two TVs each had two HRs feeding them. I was big on backing everything up. Our house is a raised ranch, a ranch on top of another smaller ranch. About 3000 square feet. 11 rooms. We only have 8 TV sets now.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I never had a problem activating HRs or the SD DVRs. Nobody questioned the number of HRs. Or asked why I did that.

Rich

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It became rather suspicious when the goal was to add ten receivers where there was currently one (or a few).

Based on having that many receivers, AT&T would likely demand to set it all up as whatever the existing equipment is, it won't handle an additional ten receivers.

It doesn't take much to trip a truck roll these days and this would likely be a five-alarmer.