1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancel Directv and keep Sunday Ticket?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kdb, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdb

kdb New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I'm thinking about calling Directv to threaten to cancel my service in order to get them to give me a discount on my monthly service. I have a friend who did this and got a pretty good deal from Directv. The problem is I have Sunday Ticket already paid for. Is it possible to have Sunday ticket without having regular monthly service? Anyone else get good deals from Directv threatening to cancel?

2. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    There is no way you keep ST without D* service. However, threatening to cancel to get discounts is an art form around here.:lol:

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Yes, call and threaten to cancel so you can get a discount, that way the bill can go up for the rest of us from them having to discount people like you.

Even better idea, why not cancel your service and sign up with new info to get the promos, then when the tech comes, send him away if he doesn't have HR24s on the truck.

4. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
  5. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    bye cya later. it was nice not knowing you

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Careful, DirecTV has responded to some cancellation threats by just going ahead and canceling the account.

My advice, don't bite off more than you can chew... aka don't subscribe to a package you can't pay for or don't want to pay the asking price for.

7. kdb

kdb New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    LOL, You seem upset. I've been a Directv subscriber and Sunday Ticket subscriber since 97 so I don't have a problem with trying to get my monthly bill lowered. Maybe you should be upset that directv keeps paying for exclusivity to the NFL which the costs of that get past on to us.

8. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    really? and u omly post here 2 times? like i said, it was nice mot knowing you. bye now

9. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    This thread has quickly devolved into "My DBSTalk post count is bigger than yours" and "My length of service is longer than yours"...

To the OP, the answer is no, you need to have some level of base package to receive Sunday Ticket..

10. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    YES, cancel your D* service immediately.:eek2:

11. kdb

kdb New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Thanks to you guys that took the time to actually post helpful information. I really appreciate it. I guess i'll wait until after the season and then hassle them about getting my bill lowered.
    Cheers

12. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Question asked and answered.

I think we can close this thread now.

13. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    This thread doesn't even make any sense. Asking if you can cancel service, yet keep service all at the same time? Seriously?

14. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    I dont see why you would wait. Hopefully not because of the self righteous trolls that have not so gracefully graced you with their presence in this thread.

If youre not under contract you call and say cancel at the voice prompt and youll get a deal for sure. I did it and got $20 a month off my bill just like that. I could care less how it effects anyone else. I hope it makes their bill go up actually :)

Once that 6 month offer expires if I dont get another similar deal Im going to cancel the service and put it in my brothers name so I can get the new customer promos. And Im going to be laughing when I do it.:D

15. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    We all have our objectives. Negotiation tactics are personal preference. D*'s job is to maximize profit. It's up to us as individuals to do what we think is best. As with everything in life everyone has differing viewpoints on what it ethical.

16. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    If you are having trouble paying your monthly bill you can get your service temporarily disconnected. You will also lose ST though. Calling and threatening to cancel just to get your bill lowered is pretty lame, but thats your conscience.

We all pay the same prices.

17. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    I would bet large sums of money that all the people claiming how lame and unethical it is to call and get your bill lowered have all done it, or will do it in the future when no longer under commitment.

Either that or they are mentally challenged.

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I think there is a difference between calling and inquiring about discounts (which I have done), and calling and threatening cancellation with the expecation of receiving a discount. I have zero problem with the former, but the latter is bad form, in my opinion (unless when not given a discount you actually cancel ;)).

19. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Never make a bet or bluff, or give an ultimatum that you're not ready, willing and able to back up.

20. guffy1

guffy1 Legend

Apr 23, 2006
    I don't feel like I'm threatening anyone when I call and tell them I am considering canceling. I actually will cancel if I don't get discounts off full price.

If I felt like I needed to threaten them with a gun and that I could get away with it I would certainly do it though.....lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.