1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancel service: you keep the boxes?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by frank29, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 12
    frank29

frank29 AllStar

Nov 10, 2005
    I recently got married and am in the process of consolidating two homes full of stuff. We both had DirecTV. We cancelled her service and was told DirecTV didn't want the receivers back. She got her last bill, showing a credit of $13 which they say they will mail. No mention of equipment on the bill.

There are three boxes. No DVR, no HD; just the simplest boxes you can get.

I noticed on DirecTV's website that within days of cancelling they send shipping boxes, labels, etc. to return the receivers at no cost to the customer. There is no distinction as to wether this only applies to certain types of boxes.

We called again and received the same reply "do whatever you want with the boxes, we don't want them or anything else."

Before we discard the three boxes, does this sound right? I remember back in the early 1980s' when I cancelled cable TV and got a call maybe a year later "Hey where's our box?" I had returned it when I cancelled but couldn't prove it....sure don't want to go through that again.

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 12
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    If they are D10's or D11's... They probably won't ask for them back.
    I doubt they are D12's since those would be very new if they were.

If they where anything other then one of those, they are not part of the lease program... and thus wouldn't request them back.

To be certain... call and verify, and have a note put on your account.

I would throw them in the attic for a little while just to be sure.

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 12
    frank29

frank29 AllStar

Nov 10, 2005
    Earl, thanks for the advice.

Just looked at them and they do have a D10 marking on the front.

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 12
    rirwin1983

rirwin1983 Legend

Dec 11, 2005
    Hey frank if ya want i'll take them off ur hands for ya, PM me to discuss.

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 12
    frank29

frank29 AllStar

Nov 10, 2005
    I think I'd better follow EB's advice and throw them in a corner for awhile. Back a quarter of century ago, my cable company thought their obsolete box (which I had in fact returned despite their insistence I still had possession) was worth it weight in gold.

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 12
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    If your receivers were marked "Owned" in D*'s computer, then they are yours, and you are free to do with them what you want. It sounds like yours were marked that way.

D10 receivers are still very capable receivers, else why would Earl be asking who would be willing to participate in a D10/11/12 CE program. The only thing D10s won't be able to do is SWM.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 12
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    If the receivers were acquired before March 2006, they would be "owned" and not need to be returned. If the bill showed the $4.99 additional receiver fee as "Additional Receiver" or previously "Mirroring Fee", then they are owned and wouldn't need to be returned. The only equipment you would be required to return is anything that was acquired under the lease program.

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 12
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I get asked that all the time on upgrades.

I tell the customer to hang on to the box. You never know when one of the working ones will blow up. Or you have a superbowl party or whatever and need TVs in every room in the house. Spares/backups are good.

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 12
    jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    If the receivers were aquired after March of '06, or if you have any reason to believe that they are leased (vs. owned), then I'd recommend contacting DirecTV again. I had that issue when I cancelled their service. I had two R15s, clearly leased, and when I called to cancel the CSR told me to hold onto the boxes in case I ever wanted to come back. Totally confused I asked "aren't the boxes leased?" He looked "no - the system indicates that you own them." Incredulous, I pressed further "so... you don't want them back, is that what you're saying?" He confirmed that that's what he was saying.

I was really perplexed. I posted on this forum about it, and was given the, sage, advice that I should follow up with DirecTV, because if they WERE leased and I didn't return them I would get smacked with a high failure-to-return fee. So I did - I sent DirecTV an e-mail, and got a response saying, in effect "upon further review, it appears that your DVRs are leased..." I received the return kits in the mail a couple days later. My point is - you may want to follow up, if you're not totally sure.

10. kirthew

kirthew Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    I have wondered this for some time... when I first signed up in Sept 2006 I had to pay 300 dollars for a HR-20... now recently... I went to Circuit City and Bought another one for 300... do I own both... or neither of them? Maybe I just own the one I bought at Circuit City...

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    99% chance that you do NOT own either.

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    This should clear it up,,,,,,,,,,,,Cards.......keep the cards or cut them up. If you ever need a spare or a test IRD these will be great.

Tried to collect a $35.00 deposit paid to a cable company around 1960.no interest requested ...just a check to settle an estate thirty-five years later; "corporate issues checks but you can leave that old ass box here...then...'we stopped returning deposits years ago to keep customer costs down'"

Was asked to locate and contact electronic shops that may be willing to become DTV receiver repair contractors. Arrived one afternoon to see an employee writing access card numbers and removing them before the defective boxes were driven over by a company truck and shoveled into a dumpster.

If your question is not answered to your expectations just call back and ask again. Someone will agree with you. Lawyers will read the contract to the judge........who may listen.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.