1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelation process

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by gquiring, Mar 27, 2010.

1. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I am going to be canceling DirecTV on Tuesday. What is involved with the process? I have a HR22 (leased) and two old DirecTivo (HDVR2) that I bought at Bestbuy many years ago. I know the HR22 is going back but what does D* do with the Tivo's? Does D* send a shipping box(s) or just a label?

Also I am on paperless billing via CC. Would be safer for me to call them in advance to switch back to paper bill so they don't start charging my CC with crazy stuff. I have read in the past that folks have sent their DVR's back and D* still charges them. Also would there be a fee for making the billing change? Just looking for some tips. Been with them for 15 years so I don't know the process.

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    DirecTV will not want the TIVO's back.
    Are you still under contract? If so, their will be a $20 a month fee for each remaining month on the commitment.

They will send a recovery kit for the HR22. Keep a copy of the return tracking number, which is included w/ the kit, so you can track the package if needed.

I'm not sure about your other questions.

Good luck and sorry to see ya leave.

3. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The paperless billing and/or autopay has no effect on the billing of your final charges. Under the terms of your customer agreement you are required to keep a valid credit card on file with DirecTV and your final charges WILL be billed to that card. This is the one part of the agreement I dont like but it is what it is. I suppose you could cancel the card you have on file before you cancel service but that is really the only option

4. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    It might be easiest to call the CC company and tell them you lost your card just to be sure, unless you have it on a bunch of other accounts. This way the number they have is no good.

Oops, longrider beat me to it :D

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You're in for quite a sales pitch when you call to cancel. ;)

6. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I can't cancel the card, too many auto pays are assigned to the card. I guess I can just dispute any charges with the CC if D* tries to screw me. I am not under contract.

I just have too many issues with D* over the Oct 09 HRxx update that caused all these audio drops. I have made numerous calls to Ellen's office for the past 5 months and they are just not moving at a pace that I can tolerate anymore. They had ample time to resolve something they broke.

I am also fed up with rain fade and snow storms. The last snow storm this year knocked our service out for 2 days. That issue will never go away with sat service and that's why I switched to FIOS. My install is next week. I know FIOS is no golden solution, I already have their internet (which is awesome) but their billing practices are a nightmare to resolve. But I want working TV 24/7 without the rain/snow issues.

Been with D* 15 years, not a bad ride. Overall I liked them. Just time to try something which I think is better. I saved a ton of money also taking the triple play with 35/35 internet speeds.

7. hoyty76

hoyty76 AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    Also expect lots of follow-up calls in the days after you cancel. I got 4 the first day and 5 the next.

8. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I"M on the verge of leaving D* for fios also after 15 years, its hard for me to do because i really like directv,despite the annoyances and problems i've had over the last 15 years,including my most recent one where they charged me an extra month payment for NBA league pass,5 payments instead of four. (I think i got this solved finally!). OR i may just wait and see what the new directv tivo looks like,which is hard to do now that the new tivo premiere is coming out ,and i can use it with fios.;)

9. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    interesting, recommended the op commit fraud

10. BKC

BKC Icon

Dec 12, 2007
    :rolleyes: You need more fiber in your diet.....

11. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    It is in no way, shape or form "fraud" to request a new credit card number. It may be a white lie to say you lost the card when you did not, but the truth is you can request your credit card company send you a new card, and new number, at any time for any reason. The original poster could just as easily tell the clear, unvarnished truth to the credit card company and say you're concerned that you've given your credit card number to a company you are afraid will mis-use it.

I'm not even saying any of the above is the case here, just that it's utterly ridiculous to refer to requesting a new card number as "fraud."

12. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    I would like to end the CC fraud discussion. Between Verizon and DirecTV I am sure I am in for a whopping headache of wrong / bullish charges. It took me months to get the FIOS internet bill corrected and I am sure the triple play will be the same non-sense. And from what I have seen D* is no saint either at charging customers that leave them. Does D* have a cancel fee for non-contract customers? Do they pro-rate the month as my billing period was just a few days ago.

13. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    no thanks - just telling it like it is

14. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    "It might be easiest to call the CC company and tell them you lost your card just to be sure, unless you have it on a bunch of other accounts. This way the number they have is no good"

15. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Really ? I don't have a CC on file with them, I get a statement in the mail and they get an ETF from my bank when I click they pay button on the bank's bill payer site. They do not have my bank account number either.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you signed up in the last several years, they have a credit card number.
    They know what account the EFT (not ETF) has been coming from. If they think you owe them money, they will find a way to extract it from you.

17. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005

I signed up in 1995.:grin:

18. oldfantom

oldfantom Icon

Mar 13, 2006
    I would try and get things in email. I am not sure if they will or not. But email them to ask what your current contract status is. Also ask about the status of owned and leased equipment

19. gquiring

gquiring Godfather

Jan 8, 2006
    It was an easy call, they tried but you can't fix the line I gave them "I don't read lips". I kept telling the guy that, how do you expect me to watch shows where the audio keeps dropping out. Plus the savings from the triple play deal and he gave up pretty easily.

20. donut53

donut53 DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Every month I pay online using a cc... Upon log in I am requested to update my current cc which expired in 2008 due to that card being compromised... I have never and will never update with a new credit card and my service has never been changed... So much for customer agreement enforcement...