canceled service returning equipment

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bruceko, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Oct 5, 2019 #1 of 33
    bruceko

bruceko Mentor

Dec 14, 2006
    I have been with Directv since the beginning. finally had to cancel due to loss of signal because of neighbors trees.
    Question about returning equipment. Information given me by Att is very confusing like everything else is with ATT.
    Customer service said they would send return boxes for Genie, a hr24 and 2 hr20's
    today i get an email from Att with instructions to go to the ups store and return the hr24 and the hr20's. no mention about the genie. there is a bar code on the email for ups to use.
    So I waste another 1/2 hour calling Att to find out what I am really supposed to return. they say the Genie and the hr24 but not the hr20'S
    Asked them to send me new return instructions. Claims he sent it. have not received an email yet.
    I just don't want to get screwed for non returned equipment.
    What a mess directv has become since Att aquisition

2. Oct 5, 2019 #2 of 33
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Just make them give you a receipt for the items.
    I doubt that they would want the HR20 back since they are very very old.
    The Genies and the HR24s should be returned.

My last receiver was a replacement and I sent the broken one back the way you descript and had no problems.

3. Oct 6, 2019 #3 of 33
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I took my equipment to a UPS store, they gave me a receipt, and they did the rest....Worked well for me.

4. Oct 6, 2019 #4 of 33
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Do it via the UPS Store or FedEx store if that is an option. The mailing kit to send it back via USPS is a disaster scene.

blueoyster and Rich like this.
  5. Oct 7, 2019 #5 of 33
    pds3

pds3 New Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Be extra, extra careful to document all your returns. In about a month you have a very good chance of receiving a bill for non returned equipment.

Rich likes this.
  6. Oct 7, 2019 #6 of 33
    espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    The UPS store return process is solid; I just did that last week. I was provided a return sheet detailing all the equipment I turned in with the S/Ns listed from the ATT app they use, and a separate tracking receipt from the UPS system.

A couple days later I got an email from ATT saying they had received my equipment. (also with S/Ns)

This is infinitely better than the “we’ll ship you a box and you give it to USPS” process they used to use. A couple years ago I had to fight the $135 equipment charge because they lost a HR24 I shipped back.

If you bring something to UPS that you don’t need to return, the app they use to check in the equipment should flag that.

Rich likes this.
  7. mario64

mario64 Cool Member

May 25, 2009
    May I ask a question? We cancelled today and the rep said they will send an envelope to return the cards plus a box to return the receivers. I would much prefer to use my local UPS store but how do I know exactly which equipment to return? And what about the cards? Return them separately? Thanks

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When I return HRs I leave the access cards in them. Never had a problem with that. You should/might get a letter detailing how to return your equipment. One of the choices should be UPS. That's easy.

Rich

9. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    When I cancelled, I received an email. I brought everything to a UPS store. I left the cards inside the DVRs.

10. mario64

mario64 Cool Member

May 25, 2009
    Thank you. What about the dish itself, etc? Does that have to be returned or just receivers and cards?

11. bobcnn

bobcnn Mentor

Nov 10, 2007
    Atlanta &...
    I canceled after more than 25 years. I got an email a couple of days ago saying they are sending a box for me to ship my two DVR's back. Then less than an hour later, I got another email to just take it to Fedex and they would do everything. Then today Fedex came by the house with a box to ship things back. Im go to recycle the box, and take equipment to Fedex. Kind of funny, the Fedex guy told me that he was about to drop Directv because his bill went up. He said he has delivered "hundreds" of the Directv return boxes in the past few months.

12. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    The dish is yours -Just send the Cards and receivers they request -Take a photo of everything you return along with all ID numbers for your own protection.

If your Dish is roof mounted -- Leave anything attached to Shingles if you chose to remove the DISH and trash it. --If you remove the base your roof and Not tar and patch it --- it will leak

13. mario64

mario64 Cool Member

May 25, 2009
    Thanks again :)

14. bobcnn

bobcnn Mentor

Nov 10, 2007
    Atlanta &...
    I got both the email about the box was on the way, and 20 minutes later an email telling me to take it to Fedex. I clicked on a link to find the nearest locations I could take it, which is close to where I live. I took my two receivers there, and they told me I had to take it to an official Fedex location (even though the link I clicked on said I could take it there). They did say they would send it to the nearest Fedex official location, which is an hour away, for $10. I said nevermind, I would just use the box. Question, if I took it just to Fedex, they just said the receiver. The box says to also includes the remotes, and cords. No big deal, I don't need either any more, but looking on the Directv website, it isn't clear other than receiver what you need to send back.

15. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    I just turned in the receivers and associated power supplies. I didn’t include the remotes, because I have no idea where they are. (We switched to Harmony remotes years back, so I think they got recycled)

Despite not turning in the remotes, my return form still says “Accessories Included: Yes”

bobcnn likes this.
  16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have no idea how many HRs I've returned over the years (might be more than anyone here) but I can tell you how many remotes and power cords I've returned...none. And not on word about that have I heard.

Rich

bobcnn likes this.
  17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    not mentioned - not sending (very simple legal rule ;) )

bobcnn likes this.
  18. Lodi25

Lodi25 Legend

Jun 23, 2009
    I cancelled 2 weeks ago, and the person on the phone told me just to take the receivers to either a FedEx or UPS store. I received an email about my final bill which was $0 but I never received anything officially by email or in the mail about what to do with the receivers. Also I didn't have the remotes either when I went to the FedEx store but I guess that isn't that big of a deal after all

19. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    I'll be going through this return process in another week and have one question. When you bring the equipment to a UPS/Fedex store, do you literally just bring the equipment and they package it, or is it supposed to be packaged when you drop it off? I am assuming they pack it, but just wanted to confirm that.

20. espaeth

espaeth AllStar

Oct 13, 2003
    No need to pack anything; they'll take care of all of that. Packing would actually slow them down because they need to scan all the barcodes for the gear as part of the return process.