Canceling D* - a good CSR story

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lparsons21, Oct 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Recently I called D* to cancel out my service as I wasn't happy with the HDDVR I had at all. I did this with trepidation because of some of the horror stories here about this.

When I said 'cancel service', I was quickly sent to a CSR to handle it. She was very pleasant and asked me why. I told her it was strictly the HDDVR. She responded that D* made the best ones and I told her we disagreed. No animosity and no defensiveness on her part.

She made an offer to keep me as a customer, and it was a decent offer but I declined. She set up everything and explained the process.

All is good.

But, I was still unsure the process would go smoothly, so I emailed D* to confirm that I had cancelled. They responded that yes, it was cancelled, the recovery kit was on the way and all was good. Since then I emailed after they received the unit to inform them that they had received it and they acknowledged that and said they had 'noted' my account.

Smooth as silk, and I think the followup email is something most should think about when doing things only available over the phone.

Total time on the phone : 9 minutes. Not too shabby.

Because of the way this was handled and the attitude expressed on the phone, I wouldn't hesitate to re-consider coming back when D* puts out an HDDVR that is good.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Sorry to hear that DirecTV did not work out for you, but glad that you had a good CSR experience. I'm curious if you were out of your commitment or not and if so, if DirecTV mistakenly had you listed under commitment.

- Merg

3. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Wish you the best of luck with Dish and their CSR's. Hopefully you will be back soon enough.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    What was this deal she offered you? The whole deal, please

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    May I ask what HD DVR model was giving the problems?

Did you try to get a different model as a replacement?

Of course, these are rhetorical questions if the OP doesn't return here. :)

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I still had some time left, although not much.

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I had cut back the service to family plan w/HD & DVR. She offered free HD for a year and given that subscription level, that was actually a very good deal.

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I had the HR21-700 after going through 4 HR20's when I first signed up. They all had the 771(?) error on tuner 2 that was somewhat an issue in Feb 2008.

And no, I didn't ask for a different DVR as the reports on all but the HR20's indicate the same issues I had. The issues are in way more threads than they should be. Slow, poor remote response and skip-to-end. I had waited for this last update to see if it would help, it didn't, I cancelled.

Just out of curiousity, how would you get a different model? One of the most irritating parts of signing up or upgrading is that D* hasn't a clue which HDDVR is coming your way. 'whatever is in the truck' is the standard line... :)

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Thanks. I have experience with Dish, so I'm aware of their issues, which are very few right now. But the CSR experience with both D* and E* for me has always been just fine. I've found that a pleasant attitude on my part greases the wheels quite nicely. I can't say I ever had a bad experience with how they handled something, even when they really didn't have a solution or couldn't do what I wanted.

Currently, E* seems to be bending over backwards to be nice and accomodating. Of course, that can change, but that's true of both D* and E*.

If I come back, it will be nearly 2 years. That way the ETF won't be horrid, and D* will have had plenty of time to get the HDDVR right or at least what I consider right.

10. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    The best way is to buy one at a store. Direct TV will credit you with the cost if they offered to give you one.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It probably helped that you were calm, reasoned and just found that, at this time, the hardware isn't for you. They probably get a lot of cursing etc.

Hopefully Dish's DVRs have improved. I had used Time Warner SA units, DirecTV Tivo and the HR20 with no problem, but theirs I just couldn't figure out.

At least you don't think the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD is better :)

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That doesn't work for everyone.

- Merg

13. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    TIVO will be here soon, hopefully.

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Define 'soon'!! :)

I see this answer posted in some different threads also, but since no one that has seen this D* Tivo box, how do you actually know it will be better? The answer is that you don't, but are hoping...

15. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I know the HD TiVo is on the horizon, but can anyone guarantee that it won't also have problems? Afterall, it most likely will be based an a different hardware platform.

16. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    from what I've read here tivo never has problems.

17. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    :
    :D:D:D

18. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    lmfao

19. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    Good luck with the switch. Please give us a comparison review once you get Dish.

Edit: Whoops, I see by your other posts you already have Dish.

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    IF you think the D* HD dvr is bad with cable You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.