1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancellation Fee

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lemme14, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mar 5, 2010 #1 of 23
    lemme14

lemme14 Cool Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Upgraded to a standard DVR last February. For some reason, I was thinking that the agreement was one year. CSR is telling me two. In most years, it never would have mattered since I never envisioned myself dropping D*. However, with the NHL playoffs about to start, I'm strongly considering switching to Fios to get Versus. The extra year agreement has thrown me for a little bit of loop. For some reason, I thought I read way back when that I could return the DVR and get out of the service agreement. True or not? If not, what can I expect for canceling with just under a year left?

2. Mar 5, 2010 #2 of 23
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Have you called and asked D* what your ETF would be?

Also, the 2 year commitment has been the standard for quite awhile.

3. Mar 5, 2010 #3 of 23
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    $20/month for each month left of contract. Years ago, when receivers were all owned they would take them back in lieu of ETF.

4. Mar 5, 2010 #4 of 23
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Probably looking at $220-$240 for Early Termination.

The only receivers that carried less than a two-year agreement were standard, non-DVR receivers. Any DVR or HD was considered 'advanced technology' equipment and carried a two-year commitment.

5. Mar 5, 2010 #5 of 23
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I recommend playing games with them both..

Call and have fios installed, I dont think they have a contract, and have it in place for the playoffs, and as soon as the playoffs are over, cancel it.. All the while, just put directv account on hold, so you dont pay both at the same time... Keep doing this at least until your out of commitment and dont have to pay the EFT... And then make a final decision.. I really think getting vs back is 50/50 at best, but i also think if vs isnt on directv by the time negotiations are here for the next contract, NHL will move to another network... They are already going to have big issues this fall, because from what i understand, the PAC10s contract with them guarantee a certain number of subs, which they can;t hit without directv, or another free view on dish and other providers for all customers, instead of only higher tier customers....

6. Mar 5, 2010 #6 of 23
    drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    You could suspend your D account for a while to see if Fios is really the answer. It does not change your ETF obligation if you do finally decide to drop D but it could give you some time to compare. Who knows, right after the playoffs you might want to come back.;) The same issue is being discussed here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=173372

7. Mar 5, 2010 #7 of 23
    lemme14

lemme14 Cool Member

Mar 13, 2007
    From the Customer Service Agreement:

(b) Your Cancellation. You may cancel Service by notifying us. You may be charged a deactivation fee as described in Section 2 and issued a credit as described below. Your notice is effective on the day we receive it. You will still be responsible for payment of all outstanding balances accrued through that effective date. In addition to any deactivation or change of service fees provided in Section 2, if you cancel Service or change your Service package, you may be subject to an early cancellation fee if you entered into a programming agreement with DIRECTV in connection with the Equipment Lease Addendum, and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time.

The deactivation fee clause from the Customer Service Agreement mentioned above:

(9) Up to $15.00 Deactivation Fee if you cancel your Service or we deactivate your Service because of your failure to pay or for some other breach on your part.

From the Equipment Lease Addendum:

RETURN OF DIRECTV EQUIPMENT.

If you cease to be DIRECTV's customer for any reason (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) or if you decide to disconnect/cancel/terminate your DVR service or HD Access fee (if you are leasing a DVR or HD Receiver, respectively), you must call DIRECTV within seven (7) days after the termination of your DIRECTV programming services, DVR service or HD Access fee, as applicable, to obtain information from DIRECTV necessary to arrange for a ground or air freight service to pick up and deliver all of your DIRECTV equipment to DIRECTV. You acknowledge that the DIRECTV equipment belongs to DIRECTV and the DIRECTV equipment, including the access card inserted into each receiver, must be returned to DIRECTV in good working order, normal wear and tear excepted. In the event that all of the DIRECTV equipment is not returned to DIRECTV within twenty-one (21) days of the termination of your DIRECTV programming services or is damaged when it is returned to DIRECTV, you agree to pay DIRECTV the sum of $45 per each DIRECTV standard receiver; $175 for each DIRECTV DVR Receiver; $125 for each DIRECTV HD Receiver; or $250 for each DIRECTV HD DVR Receiver that is not returned to DIRECTV or that is damaged when it is returned to DIRECTV as compensation for a portion of the expenses incurred by DIRECTV in establishing your account and providing you the DIRECTV equipment for your use. Visit DIRECTV.com or call 1-800-531-5000 for details.

So, having posted all of that, is it possible to cancel my account, pay the $15 deactivation fee, return the HD DVR and go on with my life? I'm sure it's not that simple and there is some other legalize that requires more. For the record, I am not disputing the fact that my agreement is two years. I just, for some reason, thought it was one. Curious what my options are. Thanks.

8. Mar 5, 2010 #8 of 23
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The $15 fee is currently only applied to people who don't voluntarily disconnect. You'll still have to pay your ECF read the bolded part of the quote.

9. Mar 5, 2010 #9 of 23
    miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    No... See this sentence:

In addition to any deactivation or change of service fees provided in Section 2, if you cancel Service or change your Service package, you may be subject to an early cancellation fee if you entered into a programming agreement with DIRECTV in connection with the Equipment Lease Addendum, and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time.

10. lemme14

lemme14 Cool Member

Mar 13, 2007
    That's my confusion. If there is an ETF, why does it not identify what it is in any of the agreements? Seems as though they are just pulling a number out of a hat. Shouldn't it be identified in the contract?

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This page lists the $480 max fee.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=1100106

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/legal/equipment_lease_addendum

And in the equipment lease addendum under "CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR FAILURE TO ACTIVATE PROGRAMMING OR MAINTAIN YOUR PROGRAMMING.", it lists the ETF as a pro-rated amount up to $480 on advanced products/receivers. It's $20 per month for the months remaining on your commitment.

13. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    If you have all leased receivers and put your account on hold, you do not have to return the receivers while the account is in hold status, correct?

14. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Correct.

15. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Is there a min and max in the number of days for hold status?

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The min 30 days max 6 months agreement will be extended the total time the account is put in suspend.

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Years ago when all receivers were owned there WAS NO ETF. DirecTV service was on a month-to-month basis and you could cancel the service anytime you wanted penalty (ETF) free. Documentation always stated "service and equipment available separately".

The ETF routine started when DirecTV began LEASING their receivers, and to this day the only thing that triggers an ETF or commitment is ACTIVATING a new LEASED receiver.

18. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Actually, I don't think that's completely true. If I rembmer correctly, back in 1996 when we first signed up for DirecTV, we had a 1 year commitment. Since there was a commitment, there would probably had to have been an ETF. The commitment wasn't based on the hardware, which was owned (and in our case self-installed.) There may have been a discount on the programming for being under a commitment, but if I recall correctly, the commitment was mandatory when signing up.

However, that was a long time ago, but may be what the OP is remembering. All commitments recently are based on activating new leased hardware, as Thomas has said. Since the hardware is leased, it has to be returned anytime you cancel, whether you are under commitment or now. So, it doesn't make sense that would be a way to get out of the ETF.

19. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    My memory of that long ago is quite foggy, but was that one-year commitment way back then for the DirecTV service, or for the USSB service?

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    When I signed up in 2000, we got a promotional rate for a year for a 1 year commitment. I don't recall what the penalty was though if I had cancelled my service before the year was up.

- Merg