1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cancellation fee??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by krel, Mar 20, 2013.

1. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Hello
    I am wondering if theres any way to buy my receviers at full retail to avoid the contract. I live out of the states for 7 months of the year and it would make no sence to keep paying the early term fee over and over. but id'e reactivate it when I came back to the states. I remember when they was two separate companies they would let you turn the service off and reactivate it.

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    DirecTV regularly allows customers to suspend their account for 6 months during a 12 month period. If you were to explain the situation to them there is likely the chance they would go ahead and allow you to do the full 7 months as they have been known to allow the extension in certain circumstances.

When the account is suspended it does not reduce any commitment that you have. For instance if you sign up as a new customer you are entered into a new 2 year agreement. If you suspend for 6 months every year it will actually take you 4 calendar years to meet your commitment. The downside is that any credits you get do still get used up over the months you are suspended. So if they give you $10/month off for 12 months, you would only end up getting $60 off since the other 6 months that you would have received the credit you had your service suspended.

All that said there is a way to buy the receivers outright from DirecTV, but the prices are pretty high. I believe something like $350 for HD receivers, and $450 for HD-DVRs (you can't purchase the HR34 or HR44 Genie). So it might not be the best idea. Not to mention we still hear conflicting reports from members here on whether or not you are allowed to start a new account with all owned equipment (and no 2 year agreement).