1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancellation Process with no contract

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by martzta, Aug 14, 2011.

1. martzta

martzta Cool Member

Aug 29, 2002
    I'm about to cancel my Directv service and have no contract commitment remaining. I know to ask for and they should send a return kit for the HR21 I have but that should be it right? The question I have and which is not clear in the customer agreement is will I get a refund for the remainder of the month I just paid for? I am paid thru 10 September and will cancel on 16 August. The agreement says something about only refunding full months. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    After at least 2 years do you know the difference between DISH and Directv? You are asking a Directv question in a DISH forum.

3. martzta

martzta Cool Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sorry I posted in the wrong place but it actually could be answered from either since I am moving from Directv to Dish.

How do I move it?

4. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Both companies prorate for cancellation.

5. martzta

martzta Cool Member

Aug 29, 2002
    That's what I believe also, just looking for confirmation since it's almost a full month to refund. Thanks.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Thread moved to a more appropriate forum for a question about cancelling DirecTV.

7. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Have you tried 1-800-DIRECTV? They just might be able to answer that question without guessing. :)

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Did you already commit to DISH network? If so, enjoy the discount for the first year. If not, wait a week or two after canceling DirecTV. More likely than not they will be on the phone offering you all kinds of deals to come back.

Meanwhile, if you really are through with DirecTV, MAKE SURE they send a "return kit" for your receiver, and document everything (including getting a receipt from the carrier for shipping your package). Others have reported getting a nasty surprise on their credit card bill sometimes months later when a disconnected leased receiver isn't shipped back.

9. martzta

martzta Cool Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Dish installer supposed to be here this AM. Not sure we have a good LOS for 61.5 and that is where the locals and most HD content resides. If we can't get a good enough signal I'll cancel the install and try to negotiate some new equipment with Direct. Have read many posts about the return if I continue with the switch to Dish. BTW, the main reason were switching is for the additional HD basic channels they carry.

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good luck!! Let us all know what finally happens!!