Cancelled after Years and Years

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ratoren, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Sep 11, 2019 #1 of 103
    ratoren

ratoren AllStar

Dec 28, 2005
    Well - last post here: 2-year $40/month DTV promo was running out, so I called to try to keep the price low. They said NO, so I asked to speak to retention, and they said NO. I asked to speak with a supervisor, and they said NO. So I cancelled.

FYI, this is after 2 years with DTV and Uverse internet, Uverse TV & internet before that for several years, and ATT DSL before that. So been with ATT for around 10-15 years. They really don’t want to be a TV provider any longer - feel very sorry for the DTV employees.

So far, keeping ATT Uverse for internet, but that is subject to change quickly once Cox Cable has a good deal/sale.

They never said anything about returning the equipment, but I probably will, just to ensure I don’t get charged. I did try the old DECA boxes to provide wired internet through the Coax to the ROKU boxes around the house, and so far, that’s working great. So I won’t be returning the DECA boxes - just the HR44 and C61 receivers and remotes.

So new streaming set-up: 100Mbps Uverse internet ($55/month), 1-Roku ultra, 1-Roku Stick+, 1-Roku 3, 3-DirecTV DECA boxes, YouTube-TV ($49/month). About the same price as before with the $40/month promotion. Works great!!!

Lastly - they sent me a text to rate their phone service help line. The absolute nerve, after raising the price. Needless to say, they did not rate very high.

Rich likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2019 #2 of 103
    Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Ohio
    You won't regret it. I dumped them in Feb and went streaming too. ATT is a **** show and a hot mess. Took a good company and ruined it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Rich likes this.
  3. Sep 11, 2019 #3 of 103
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Expecting perpetual discounts is ludicrous. The discount well isn't bottomless regardless which service provider you use. The real issue is people want what the tier packages offer but don't want to pay for them.

B. Shoe likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2019 #4 of 103
    jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    That is because the packages are overpriced compared to deals that are offered by other providers. Satellite and cable providers have created a system in which people are rewarded for jumping ship for new offers. Loyalty means nothing or next to nothing. Then the streaming providers come in and swoop up many people who don't want to pay a premium price for 400 channels, 385 of which they never watch anyway.

pds3, Brian Hanasky, mjwagner and 2 others like this.
  5. Sep 11, 2019 #5 of 103
    Mgibsoj

Mgibsoj New Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Palm Bay, FL
    DTV customer since '94, their tech, PQ, and reliability were amazing. Now, their price is no longer aligned with their content offerings for me. Bottom line is I'm saving over $$800/yr with Roku (3 tvs) & YouTube TV with same channels I watch and more sports channels. DTV needs to aggressively address their price problem, but I don't think that will be happening.

pds3, mjwagner, espaeth and 3 others like this.
  6. Sep 11, 2019 #6 of 103
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The discount well IS indeed bottomless.

The real issue is that DirecTV prices their tiers well above the competition, so they have plenty of meat left on the bone to please the squeaky wheels (like me lol).

OP has only been with DirecTV for 2 yrs on intro promo rate, so no offense, but they don't rate that high on DirecTVs rating system. A lot of us have been with DirecTV for 15+ yrs. What's this guy talking about "after years and years"? lol

If the CSR really said NO to speak to a sup or retention, they should have just hung up and called back. OPs mistake was trying to negotiate with a front line CSR. They don't have access to the bottomless well :D.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    jw_rally likes this.
  7. Sep 11, 2019 #7 of 103
    grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Your absolutely right, but then again.................. it's also the case that tiers are purposely designed to "up sell" by placing one or two popular channels in the higher tiers that also contain dozens of channels many may not want. I have to wonder how many would still subscribe or even stick with DIRECTV if the same types of things were applied to say NFL ST, whose discounts and account credits still flow with regularity.

The fact is that traditional providers like Comcast, DIRECTV, DISH, etc. all play the same game. They have to try and up sell tiers to help subsidize other offerings that otherwise would not be available otherwise. They also have to use things like commitments and second year price increases or ETF's to ensure they can still "plug the holes" so to speak. Every single DIRECTV subscriber, regardless of tier, are also helping to pay for things like all the RSN's, NFL ST, and other premium and cutting edge offerings as well that they either don't want or don't even have access to without dishing out even more money than they already are.

OTT providers don't have that issue. They can set their pricing for what they offer without worrying about subsidizing a dozen other packages or hardware development/support. Is cutting the cord for everyone? No, not yet but it's getting there. Is everyone still willing to pay ever increasing rates for things they can get elsewhere for less without at least an occasional "bone" tossed to them? Guess not. Millions and millions are now saying "enough is enough".

mjwagner and jw_rally like this.
  8. Sep 11, 2019 #8 of 103
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

OTT providers have their own problems. They have to support a lot of infrastructure required for streaming, which is almost certainly more expensive per customer than Directv's satellite fleet. They don't have to support hardware directly, but their software support is more complex because they have to support multiple very different set tops, and smart TVs. They generally don't require a commitment so they don't have a dependable stream of income, and in the future with more and more OTT providers will have customers joining only for a short time, so they can binge a few programs then move onto the next OTT provider like locusts. Disney is probably the only one that will have a chance at keeping people year round, because kids (I don't include Amazon because people have Prime for the shipping, not the video)

Cable companies have reported their cost of programming is about 2/3 of their total revenue from TV. That doesn't include all those other costs, so there really isn't a lot of room for streaming MVPDs to undercut them. They are currently, but that's why they're all losing money. AT&T's CEO claims that AT&T Now is only now finally stopped losing money thanks to two price increases in the past year. He's not saying it is profitable, it is probably just breaking even - and as they get hit with higher costs for locals and for Disney/ESPN when their new contract is complete, they'll probably need another price increase before long...

9. Sep 11, 2019 #9 of 103
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    And since most reports are that the OTT providers are all losing money you can expect price increases from them as the shakeout continues and some OTT’s drop out of sight.
    I wonder how the ad supported free OTT’s are doing financially? Not seen any articles discussing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. Sep 11, 2019 #10 of 103
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
  11. Sep 11, 2019 #11 of 103
    mstenbrg

mstenbrg AllStar

Oct 2, 2006
    I agree, just canceled a few days ago, been with them for almost 20 years. YTTV and Philo give me everything I watch, and for $100 less a month. The sad part is the DirecTV programming fee is $80 (for the package I had), around the same as YTTV and Philo combined. It is the $100 in receiver fees, whole home fee, HD fee and whatever other fees they add to your bill that makes the price so much more expensive.

bobcnn, Rich, mjwagner and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sep 11, 2019 #12 of 103
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yup. What's $1 - $2B / 0? I.e. Disney+ :D. That's how much Disney is spending on standing up the infrastructure. Granted, they'll spool up on customers very quickly I think.

13. Sep 11, 2019 #13 of 103
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Ok, soo.... $100 - $23 = $77 in receiver fees = so you have 5 to 7 boxes? How many simultaneous streams do you have now? ;)

14. Sep 11, 2019 #14 of 103
    NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    The OP, who has AT&T home broadband, but dumped DirecTV for YouTube TV is exactly the kind of customer that AT&T TV should appeal to. Whether or not it will -- depending on the channel packages and prices it has -- remains to be seen. But AT&T can't do battle only with Comcast and Charter as they have for years, they also have to square off against YouTube TV and Hulu Live if they want to keep their cable TV ship from sinking. We'll see what they come up with before long. Start of 4Q is less than 3 weeks away...

15. Sep 11, 2019 #15 of 103
    CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    Did AT&T TV think they could create the best of worlds and combine DTV with a cable TV service and internet streaming would be cool but forgot in doing so they would also have to compete with other cable TV services, Dish Network and OTT services

16. Sep 11, 2019 #16 of 103
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You might want to update your signature since still shows you with DIRECTV hardware.

17. Sep 11, 2019 #17 of 103
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Please excuse me if I sit out the AT&T blame game. I really didn't have issues with DirecTV directly, but with the games the program providers played with the multi-channel providers (cable and satellite). For years prior to the acquisition of DirecTV by AT&T, the cost/benefit ratio of the programming provided verses what I was paying was out of whack, especially since I worked graveyard shift. I practically had a package which included all of the regular DirecTV channels, but none of the premiums. After one price increase too many, I reduced my package to a minimum package that had no sports package (not interested). I would have cancelled entirely, except that my mother wanted to keep the service.

When I moved to Texas from California, I figured "fresh start", and hoped that we could get by with just streaming services, namely Hulu and Netflix. But, no, my mom has to have her Hallmark channel, and I ended up assisting her to sign up for DirecTV service.

18. Sep 11, 2019 #18 of 103
    jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    I believe Sling and FuboTV streaming both have the Hallmark channels. There may be others as well.

19. Sep 11, 2019 #19 of 103
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    My mom has recently discovered there's a thing called "Hallmark Drama" and it's not on cable here. Too bad there's not a refer-a-friend anymore or I would try harder to get her on Directv.

20. Sep 11, 2019 #20 of 103
    APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Who is your provider?

I ask because Comcast added Hallmark Drama to its lineup, with channel placement on 1460, following Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. And they are carried in HD.

Hallmark Drama is on the way to getting carriage from more and more providers.