1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelled and moving to U-Verse

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DirecTV3049, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1 of 17
    DirecTV3049

DirecTV3049 Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    Been a customer of DirecTV for 11 years, but now I'm moving on.

I don't have much bad to say about the service - other than it has gotten pricey. The occasional rain fade is very, very minor annoyance (though, living in tornado country, it can happen at a bad time).

Ultimately, what got me was the price - was paying about $185 per month. Total Choice, protection plan, HBO, Show, Starz, Enc., HD package (Sony, Smithsonian). 4 receievers (2 DVRS; one HD; one really, really old legacy RCA). Had hooked up my own "ethernet" whole-home. PPV movies were on top of that. Taxes, lease fees, etc. all added up.

And then my internet was an additional $50 on top of all that.

I'll tell you, honestly, a few of my gripes (besides price). One - the "loyalty awards." These I usually got in February and usually was to add a channel for 3 months that I didn't want and cared very little about. With all the data mining out there, why not a "loyalty" award that would mean something to ME? 3 months HBO or Show or Enc. or Starz?? Oh, I could call and get it switched to that - but every year, year after year, I've got to call and "complain" about something you're giving me for free?? Sheesh.

Two, all of those who "game the system." Playing CSR roulette and getting this credit or that credit.

Really, why do I HAVE to call and THREATEN to cancel to get DirecTV's attention?? I've got a terrific account history, etc.

I've got a job and a family - using my "spare time" to try to beat down DirecTV is NOT my idea of a good time.

So far, I've not noticed a quality difference with U-verse. In fact, if anything, I find the receivers are much, much faster than my DirecTV ones. I also like that I can pause, rewind, and record ANY television in my house - not just the ones directly tied to the DVR.

Finally, the two-year contract. I've been "out of contract' with DirecTV for several years now. So, no, I didn't have the latest "bleeding edge" technology. I didn't want to pay to upgrade to the DirecTV "Whole Home" DECA upgrade (ethernet worked just fine, thanks). None of the newer recievers were, IMHO, "worth" tying myself up for ANOTHER two years to DirecTV.

So, for now, I'm going to roll with U-Verse. Maybe I'll be back and DirecTV can dangle the "new customer" deals in front of me and I'll switch (AT&T kept doing it and kept making the deals better and better that it just didn't make sense anymore NOT to switch).

I appreciate this forum tremendously. It's been a source for solving some of the glitches, etc. that I ran into. Many thanks to all who post and share their experiences.

Via con Dios!!

2. Oct 5, 2013 #2 of 17
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    UVerse works for some, not for everybody. It partially comes down to the profile and how many HD streams your area allows.

Though frankly I wouldn't expect AT&T to call you or just apply credits on their own to bring the cost down more than the bundling savings etc.

So you have a cloud based system? I'm personally very suspicious of the cloud based services, but it all comes down to personal preferences.

3. Oct 5, 2013 #3 of 17
    Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I hate their customer service, and the PQ Ive seen at two friend's house does not meet Directv. No thanks. I understand price, but Im willing to pay.

4. Oct 5, 2013 #4 of 17
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    * I've been with DTV since 2002 and have had rain fade for a total of 20 mins I think, but I live in So Cal.

* $185? While I gripe about the costs of DirecTV ALOT lol... you had a lot of useless bells & whistles. Protection plan, Movie Channels, HD Extra, PPV, etc. All a TREMENDOUS waste of $$$ on DirecTV. You realize a PPV movie on DirecTV is $7 right? Netflix is a fraction of the price. So is RedBox. I would never use those services on DirecTV at those prices.

* I've been with them since 2002 and have never gotten a loyalty award

* I *TOTALLY* agree with you on the PITA that is DirecTV and having to call in and get credits all the time. DirecTV is a total money grab operation to the point of being sickening. My bill with them sans discounts is $99.00. I priced out DISH 1 or 2 months ago and it came out to around $70 after the promo period without the need for discounts. Why doesn't DirecTV just price competitively and not do discounts? Cuz *THEY* are gaming the system and probably 99% of DTV customers don't even know they can get discounts. Regional sports fee? Are you serious? I couldn't care less about sports.

* I think DirecTV customer service is horrible personally... had nothing but bad experiences with them

5. Oct 5, 2013 #5 of 17
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You probably did get loyalty awards, just didn't know about it. They actually stopped doing it after customers wanted to exchange for something else. Plus, one of the big things they gave out was Game Lounge, which was discontinued.

6. Oct 5, 2013 #6 of 17
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So why not go with Dish???? the are anxiously waiting for your business!

7. Oct 5, 2013 #7 of 17
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Drop the premium chanels and that will save you a bundle.
    I have the XTRA package with 2 DVRs and my bill is $117.
    I have no need for the premiums just to be able to watch a few programs.

8. Oct 6, 2013 #8 of 17
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Because so far, DirecTV is matching the offer. When they stop, I will.

9. Oct 6, 2013 #9 of 17
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Everyone should find a provider they're happy with.
    If the TS is with U-verse, great.
    I took U-who for a test drive about 18 months ago.
    PQ seemed close to DirecTV, even though their bit-rate measures 66% of DirecTV's for the same program.
    Where I did notice a difference was there was more frame dropping/stuttering.
    Sometimes is was quite apparent and other times very subtle but definitely there compared to the same feed from DirecTV.

My biggest complaint was their crappy DVR, or more to the point its software.

For a single viewer U-who's limitations aren't too bad, but for more than one viewer with different tastes in programing, U-who wouldn't work very well.

U-who [TV only] after all the discounts go away still had about a $20/month edge, along with one more premium channel, which did make it tempting.

"For me" the deciding factor was customer service, which was nice & friendly, but completely ineffective in resolving a disconnect problem.
    When I am watching TV, the last thing I want is a spinning circle on my screen.
    30+ hours on the phone, countless service calls [all in the first month] and they couldn't fix it. Several months later with a lot of effort on my part, they managed to find the bad switch on their [central] end of the fiber, which finally fixed my internet.

Others may not have this experience, but for me it showed a "black hole" in the U-who tech support and while DirecTV is far from perfect, I've gotten similar problems addressed sooner and with "not as much" effort on my end.

YMMV

10. BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary Legend

Oct 24, 2010
    I guess I am way off base. When AT&T was talking to me about upgrades to my phone service they seemed quite happy that I had DirecTV. In fact, they told me that their DSL was very compatible with DirecTV's downloads. (As opposed to ComCast who appears to try to slow down video packets from other carriers.)

They were so excited that it seemed to me that they were using DirecTV's sats for their delivery. Am I crazy here?

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That's the biggest non-starter for me;

2-4 HD streams max. would be totally unworkable here with 5 DVRs (1 a Genie) on 5 TVs shared among 4 people living here right now.

Besides, U-verse TV is not available in my area yet, nor looks like it will be for some time now.

:nono2:

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    So the first thing you could have done is drop the extra receivers, you sure wont be able to use them with Uverse. Max four tuners total with Uverse.

And I don't know a single company that doesn't work that way with calling in to get new discounts. I just helped a family friend with this. Their cable (now directv) was on such an old plan, that they had been being charged $80 a month more than the regular rates of the current packages without any special credits of discounts! And phone, Oh they had att which was charging them on an old plan as well that cost over $110 a month. Needless to say they have ooma now, and a cheaper internet bill (cable company was charging $70 a month on an old plan, now they are on a current plan at $50 that has twice the speed) and with directv, its way cheaper to start, and will basically be about the same as their cable companies price after all the discounts run out, but its also a THOUSAND times better picture and channel selection. I mean who only has one hbo and one showtime channel in hd these days? Seriously!

I hope Uverse works for you, but don't think the plans and pricing schemes will be totally different from ATT. They wont.

13. DirecTV3049

DirecTV3049 Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    Very old school:

I'll single you out as being an invaluable source for information.

Again, maybe my family and I will see you all on the flip side.

If not, know that this forum serves a real purpose - and that there are a LOT of mostly lurkers out there who appreciate you taking the time to answer questions and post solutions.

14. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Uverse is a good service, I have it for internet and phone. TV not as good and limit on HD streems is a killer for us. Uverse sent me a very good offer for TV in July so I called Directv and told them what it was and they did better by 4 bucks a month and added free Sunday ticket. As for having to call to get a better price I have to do that with Uverse also or my bill goes from 70 to over 100 a month.

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I have Uverse internet and TV for locals backup and free HBO (a loophole for 6 months now). Internet had a disconnect issue randomly for months requiring a reboot of the main box in the garage. I got fed up and called on a Saturday around 11am, tech in home by 4pm... been great since.

On the TV side, PQ just isn't on par. Some people swear VRAD distance determines PQ, but reputable and knowledgeable techs at AVSforum confirm PQ is the same everywhere and distance only affects the number of HD streams... I'm on a 3HD/1SD location. It's not really noticeable on sitcoms or slow moving scenes, but sports really suffer. We had major storms Saturday night, so I flipped on Uverse to continue watching college football... ugh... just blocky during motion.

16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    In working for folks in my area, I am almost always happy to help them change service if they want with only one exception:

the folks that switch every 2 (or few) years

Boy that gets to be a headache, especially when they are not too savvy about technical matters and have problems after switching.

:eek2:

17. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    My M-I-L has been experiencing that for the past 6 months or so. She wants to move to Directv, but the price doesn't work for her. It would if she would give up her home phone, but she won't.