1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelled today after 24+ years

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ACR_Ted, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dec 5, 2018 #1 of 16
    ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted New Member

May 11, 2010
    I just now got off the phone with DTV and cancelled my service after over 24 years. The CSR was quite friendly and apparently in the USA but made absolutely no effort to keep my business. She just asked why (too expensive and I don't watch much TV anymore) and she said OK and disconnected the account.

She did say that they are shipping a recovery box kit and to return everything within 21 days or else. That did surprise me account the DVR is a HR22-100 and I thought they wouldn't want old stuff like that returned.

Again I thought they would at least offer a discount like they did last year when I asked to disconnect. Oh well...I now get 84 channels off air (although about 1/2 of them are useless to me - shopping/religion/Spanish) and now I can see all of the sub-channels like Comet, Grit, etc that DTV does not carry. I also have Amazon Prime.

She also said that I could get a welcome back offer soon but I doubt that I would be interested.

Ted

APB101 likes this.
  2. Dec 5, 2018 #2 of 16
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv's return process for receivers has always been messed up, they say they want stuff back they don't and vice versa. They say they are sending return kits and don't or vice versa.

I always thought they should ask for everything back, and the ones they don't want they just send a box addressed to the company handling their recycling (Goodwill in Colorado last time I sent something) They sure aren't going to refurbish and re-use an HR22.

raott likes this.
  3. Dec 5, 2018 #3 of 16
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Heartily agree on this. Getting rid of Directv's property shouldn't be the the customer's responsibility and it would likely save receivers being tossed in a land fill.

4. Dec 5, 2018 #4 of 16
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Your recovery kit could be an envelope to put the smart card from the receiver into and mail it back in a prepaid envelope. Some receiver they do not actually want back.
    Pay close attention to your bills to make sure you are not billed for the equipment and take pics of the items you are returning.

5. Dec 5, 2018 #5 of 16
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    If you were hoping for a discount to stay, wouldn't it be better to just say so instead of telling them you want to cancel?

rainydave, jimmie57 and sigma1914 like this.
  6. codespy

codespy The Pack is getting sacked!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    The term ‘Cancel’ use to breed lucrative offers for many to stay with DirecTV in the past. Perhaps, that ship has sailed.

ericknolls likes this.
  7. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    I'm not sure a red carpet of credits would've made the OP happy. I do find it interesting when people call to cancel/ disconnect and actually get their service disconnected. It's like telling your boss here's my 2 week notice and they say you can leave now. I do understand the OP's disappointment after 24 years but...

Steady Teddy, rainydave and sigma1914 like this.
  8. energyx

energyx Cool Member

Aug 8, 2011
    I have an HR34 (Original 'Genie'), a couple HR24s and a first-gen mini. They sent me a single recycling "bag" for all of it. I canceled in August and they haven't tried to charge me for anything or ask for the cards back. The win-back offers are a $300 gift card to sign back up for a 2 year contract.

9. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Yeah, if you just tell them you are calling to cancel, they may very well believe you and just carry out your request. I've gotten discounts, but I always start by telling them I am trying to keep my monthly bill under control without cutting any of my packages. Or I tell them I'm getting ready to renew my MLBEI and NFLST subscriptions but I don't want my bill to get too high. They usually offer at least something.

ericknolls likes this.
  10. ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted New Member

May 11, 2010
    A few weeks ago I called DTV to see if they would extend or reinstate the $30/month credit they gave me last year when I wanted to cancel. At that time they said no, so I said no...cancel. Then they had some excuse that they couldn't cancel because of some account changes or something.

So I then suspended my account to see if I would miss DTV or not (I really don't, at least not for $110/month) and then I called in again and the best they would do was $20/month off, I said no - I will cancel. They transferred me to some other number/csr and that is the one I mentioned above that wouldn't do anything at all.

Oh well...I guess ATT doesn't want my business...you'd think that some revenue would be better than no revenue from me.

So be it....

Ted

11. brett1198

brett1198 Cool Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Every 2 years I call to get a discount, my last one is expiring in a few days. This time I think I will just downgrade a package and maybe get rid of a reciever I don't use that much. Going to take a wait and see approach and make any decisions at the end of next year.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 3:42 PM
  12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I finally convinced my mother to start paying the DirecTV bill in full. However, with a pending move will come a cancellation. I have no intention of having any subscription television service in my new place partially because of the lack of compelling content.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not the worst thing that could happen to you. If you don't care about sports, streaming is a much better option.

Rich

14. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    Every year I do the same dance with them. When the prompt comes up I say "cancel" which always takes me to retention. I always approach the Directv person with: " I really like my Directv, and have been with you _____ years, but your costs are so much higher than DISH networks package and they guarantee me even more channels for a lower price and it's guaranteed for two years. I usually get $50 to $60 off per month. Do your homework first by having Dish's package rates ready to go.

15. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I like these types of threads because original posters are relating why they made their decision. It is in aligning with trends. But, it is also personal. So, I understand. I am still subscribing to a linear cable-television package. I am with AT&T”s DirecTV. (It is the best choice for me. I don’t live alone. So, I should use the word us.) It will be this way for a while longer.

16. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    So, you basically left over a $10 credit per month, which is $120 over the course of the year? If you were unhappy with the service, I could understand that. If you were happy with the service, then was it really worth it to you to cancel for that bit of change?