1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelling Dtv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mobouser, Oct 15, 2012.

1. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Been with Directv since 98 but needed another connection and this requires a new 2 year contract which I am not interested in getting. Checked out local cable (TWC) and able to get their combo services for about $102.00 monthly. Thats telephone, internet with turbo 20m download speed, and hd TV service with cable card for my TIVO Premier. Even paying extra for the TIVO service thats only ten bucks more than I'm paying DTV alone now and the price is locked for 2 years. Bye Bye

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's for sharing. Bye.

3. mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Well - you must admit, that's not bad at all! At least you will have the Tivo!

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I got a Comcast offer like that in the mail Saturday.
    Difference is that they did list a 2 year commitment.
    Every time my discounts run out I call back and ask for some help with my bill and what can they do for me. It is always different but they always help the bill out some each time.
    Without help my bill would be $140.
    I know a lot of people are talking about the Cables now with a good picture but I am yet to see a Cable picture anywhere near the DTV picture quality.

Good luck with the new service.

5. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    Duh, along with the cable price being locked in for 2 years so are you. No different than Directv. And 20MB internet is awfully slow. I have 100MB internet and wish I could get even faster. Also, any info on your programming package was missing. I know I get stations with my Directv that my local cable company, Charter, doesn't even offer.

6. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    I hope you enjoy your new service, hopefully you won't have a lot of problems with those flaky Tuning Adapters you have to use along side the CableCard (since they use SDV). If you have any problems (especially with activating the CableCard/TA) TWC does have official support on DSLReports. :)

7. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    If you got 100MB download that's wickedly fast and you must pay pretty good for that. I'm at about 9MB now and so this is an upgrade for me. You may have a problem with your machine if your not lighting fast now.
    I think the programing is around 250 and we will never use or watch most of it. Directv is great but I'm paying around $200 with phone and internet.
    I wont miss cleaning the dish in the winter of snow and wondering if our shows tape when we have a strong storm passing.

8. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    And what kind of download speed does DirecTV offer right now?

Did the same thing mobouser. Don't let the fanbois here deter you. You got TiVo, you'll be fine.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You might if the storm is strong enough. We had a strong storm here a few years ago and I had satellite service a few days before some cable customers. Unfortunately it took about a week for me to get power.

We've all got to do what's right for us though.

10. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    20 mbps is pretty fast unless you're DLing several HD movies a day or torrenting 20 will be just fine, even if you're torrenting 20 is acceptable. I DL HD movies and game with no issues on 24mbps, I do however pay Comcrap a rediculious ammount for that speed ($85 a month).

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Its a 2 yr commitment with Comcast if you go with their $39 first year, $59 second year Preferred offer. If you just go with the $39 for first year without the guaranteed price for the second year, there is no commitment. It also matters if you sign up online, or in person/telephone. With Comcast, you do need to do your homework, as there are many different offers available.

12. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I have 12 mbps with UVerse internet, and I have no problems steaming HD movies from Netflix via wireless to my Sony Blue Ray player which I watch on my HD TV. I don't have UVerse TV. I have D*.

13. litex2x

litex2x Legend

Sep 8, 2012
    What exactly is the real point of this thread? You obviously were only looking to find the cheapest service possible and not the best quality. 20 mbps download is nothing to brag about either. Also most cable providers are switching to 2 year contracts as well. TWC didn't even have a lot of the premium movie channels in HD when I had it.

1 person likes this.
  14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Keep in mind, cable is very location dependent. Time Warner in one market can offer channels or features that aren't available in another.

15. mark40511

mark40511 Legend

Jul 18, 2008
    Lexington KY
    20 is PERFECTLY fine!!!!!!

I know 50 is available here through Roadrunner but I have had 12 mb DSL that's very stable no cap and I can stream hd or whatever with no issues. Most people would KILL for 6 mpbs, especially in rural areas, much less 20!

16. mobouser

mobouser AllStar

May 23, 2007
    I need another box and it means going back into contract with DTV. I got the triple deal with TWC, its actually a one year thing but since I'm leaving DTV time Warner will double the time no contract. I also get everything on the install side covered no charge. I'm not that big on premium channels.

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Good bye and good luck!

--
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
    ~ Stephen Wright

18. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    20mb is super fast. if i could find a deal like yours id jump on it in a heartbeat! best i can do here is att dsl 6mb. our cable co offers up to 10mb for $159. they offer bundle packages too, and even then its very expensive. glad you got something that fits your needs. :)

19. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    If 20's super fast than I'm on a rocket. I've got 75/35 here.

20. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Ok here's what I dont get. The OP has been with Directv for FOURTEEN years. The major sticking point was another 2 year commitment. Somehow after FOURTEEN years the concept of staying another 2 was too much?

Look, I am all for getting the best deal but somehow that hasnt been an issue since Clinton was trying to define what "is" is. Suddenly today it is.

Good luck with TWC. It isnt even close to a viable option here. Way too much pixelation.