"Cannot detect SWM" with installed cables

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by weiser701, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Jul 1, 2017 #1 of 34
    weiser701

weiser701 New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    I'm getting "cannot detect SWM" message when connected through installed cables. Here's what IS working for me:

• Dish is installed at the east side of the house.
    • Coax runs from the dish, through the garage, into the house and connected to MSPLIT4R1-03.
    • SWiM unit is plugged in nearby and connects to MSPLIT4R1-03 power pass.
    • Coax connected to OUT on MSPLIT4R1-03 runs to HR24 receiver.

That set up works just fine and it's the same arrangement as going through the installed cables. They're all quad shield with the same connectors. I run into problems when I used the installed cables, and this is a newly built house. I get a strong OTA signal using those same installed cables. Length can't be an issue because for the set up that is working I'm using a 100' feet section of coax connected to the coax coming from the dish via coupler. I even tried and arrangement that put the SWM unit close to the dish. For the life of me I just cannot ascertain what could be causing this issue. Is the SWM so finicky it needs a special connection? What am I missing?! I'm desperate for your input.

Thanks!

2. Jul 3, 2017 #2 of 34
    doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Explain this a bit more

Apparently if you use cables from dish to splitter it works. If you use "installed" cables in the wall you get 771 error.
    What's connect so that you get OTA.
    ? Diplexer
    Apparently the cables aren't what you think and signals aren't getting from Outside to inside.

The cables and how they are connected is the issue.
    Trace and diagram what you find or what you think they are

Doctor j

3. Jul 3, 2017 #3 of 34
    weiser701

weiser701 New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Thanks for the reply! Sure, I can elaborate.

What I meant by strong OTA signal is connecting to an indoor/outdoor OTA antenna through the installed cables (in walls). By using the the cables we installed and are meant to be used we don't see any disruptions acquiring a healthy OTA signal. However, once I connect that same outdoor connection to the dish and subsequently the required set up inside with the SWM unit we're not able to acquire any satellite signal.

This is how the cables are ran:

Coax from bedroom, living room, garage and outside (dish) all meet in the closet next to the entry door from the garage. In that closet I have the SWM unit plugged in and connected to the MSPLIT4R1 splitter. Also connected to the splitter is the coax leading to the living room location where the HR24 receiver is being used. It's very basic and I don't see what could be going wrong. I've tried a couple of these splitters as well as the one my brother uses successfully in his house. Either way, the equipment works when I'm using different cables. But since I'm getting a signal from an OTA antenna I don't see how there would be issues with the installed cables.

The only thing I can logically ascertain is a fault with the connectors. What do you think? Is it THAT important to have the RIGHT termination for the SWM to function?

4. Jul 3, 2017 #4 of 34
    weiser701

weiser701 New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    I installed all new compression connectors and I'm still getting the same "Cannot detect SWM" message.

Like I said, I can change out this set up with the same length of coax, or longer, strung through the garage and hooking up the splitter and SWM unit the same and get a very strong signal with no SWM errors. I can't see a problem with the new cables installed in the walls. They're quad shield, new and work perfectly fine for the OTA signal from the antenna placed right next to the dish. This is so baffling!

5. Jul 3, 2017 #5 of 34
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It sounds like you do not have the Power Inserter hooked up thru the power passing port of the splitter.
    If the power does not travel from the inserter to the power passing port of the splitter it does not get to the LNB. This gives the 775 error.
    Or the splitter does not have a power passing port since it was installed to hook up cable or similar.

6. Jul 3, 2017 #6 of 34
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    When you say "SWiM unit", are you referring to a Power Inserted? I don't, what is a "SWiM unit".

You keep mentioning quad shield cables. That may mean something if you were getting your service from a cable company. But, it's entirely irrelevant to a DirecTV SWM system. What matters in a DirecTV system is is those cables have a Solid Copper Core (SCC) or if they're Copper Clad Steel (CCS). The requirement for Directv are Solid Copper Core Rg6.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. Jul 3, 2017 #7 of 34
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    That's a swm splitter, but I'm guessing the power inserter isn't conected to the power passing port, designated by the red line on the label, or red inside the port.

8. Jul 3, 2017 #8 of 34
    weiser701

weiser701 New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Sorry for the confusion. I should have been saying power inserter all along. I think I was just having a brain fart with the terminology.

I've been careful to make certain the inserter is always connected to the power pass of the splitter. I do understand the concept of the inserter in relation to the SWiM set up. In fact, that's why I even tried a connection that put it close to the dish in case there was an issue running along the length of coax going from the closet to the dish. It didn't change. I was somewhat familiar with the SWiM cabling at my brothers house.

As for my mentioning of the quad shield cables. I only made note of just to make it clear all of the cables used in the various scenarios are the same. They're all RG6.

9. Jul 3, 2017 #9 of 34
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Have you checked voltage at the lnb? How about bypassing the splitter and just connecting the power inserter in line where the splitter is?

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    LNB Connects to top Single port Swm spliter
    PI Connects to Port (RED) 1
    Ports 2 , 3, 4 Connect to receivers

11. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    As suggested bypass the splitter and check voltage at the LNB (under load). The 'permanent' coax could be damaged such that it is resistive. This would result in lower voltage at the LNB which could be insufficient to power the LNB. That you get an OTA signal through the coax would not be unusual as the TV signal propagation on the coax is not the same as its ability to pass DC.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Uh how many receivers do you actually have?

Yes you must have any unused ports in the splitter terminated or you could have this issue.

Over the air signal means nothing and you can’t use that as a gauge of the cables being good. But I doubt it’s the cables anyway.

Is the green light in the power inserted?

Yank the splitter go from the dish to the pi to the HR24 and see if the HR24 works when it’s all that’s in the system.

are you sure the coax going to the HR24 in the walls doesn’t split anywhere beyond the garage or anything? No diplexers or other things on the line either?

13. weiser701

weiser701 New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    I tested voltage and it's almost like there's a short. I'm not an electrician so I don't fully understand. I get ~28.7 volts (29v PI) with the troubleshoot cables but displays a very high voltage when I have the installed cable connected. It keeps climbing. I've done nothing different other than connect the cables accordingly.

All other connections have always been done correctly. The green light is always lit. I've also bypassed the splitter and get the same results. There are no other splits in the walls.

The electrician has to come out for a couple things as per the inspection so I'm going to put him to task. This bugs me because I've done these installations myself in new construction and never ran into these problems.

14. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    If the voltage is randomly rising at the LNB that would imply to me that your in-wall coax is either open and collecting stray voltages or that it is somehow crossed with some AC wiring somewhere. In either event the in-wall coax has a problem. (hope you can gain access without having to tear into the wall!)

15. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008

Have you tried Connecting the PI direct to the LNB - then use one receiver Connected to (PI) IRD port?

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait, isn’t the pi by the splitter? I thought your issues came after that point, in which case I am confused where you are reading the power from? Because your u made it sound like it works fine if you connect a cable from the splitter to the HR24 that is just wound through the house instead of inside the walls. If that’s the case then the pi would never be putting out power over the wires installed in the walls except the one from the planter to the dish and you have already found that works fine when used with a different cable.

Maybe being more specific on your setup.. for example... dish to splitter is 50 Of coax in the wall. Splitter is located in basement. From the splitter it is x amount of feet to the pi located in room c. And so forth. Something just doesn’t make sense...

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    From what I understand, the problem is with the pre-installed (quad-shield type) cable in the walls between the SWiM splitter in a wiring closet leading up to the LNB on the dish.

Every time he tries to use that cable, the receiver reports it cannot detect SWM. And when he runs another cable up to the LNB bypassing the pre-installed one, the receiver can get the satellite signals.

As a sort of test the OP says the cable does work fine for sending OTA signals from an outside antenna.

Also, strangely when the PI is connected to feed the pre-installed cable the measured voltage from the PI rises above the 29 volts for some reason.

Obviously something very weird and wrong is going on with the pre-installed cable, at least for satellite use.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If his OTA is coming in pretty strong, it may 'overpower' whatever issues there are with the cable.

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I still think that these cables are copper coated steel (CCS), rather than solid copper core (SCC).

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But what's up with the strange rise in voltage above the 29 volts (nom.) when the OP tries to connect the PI to this pre-installed cable?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk