1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot pick up all local channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jgreg, Jan 30, 2010.

1. jgreg

jgreg New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I have a slimline dish the lnb is a Eagle Aspen SL3SP1G-P
    I have 3 receivers 1 HR23 2 H21
    I can only pick up only 4 out of 9 local channels out of the New Orleans Area I was getting all nine then 5 went away I have a swm power supply in 1 bedroom with one tv to it and the 4 way splitter in the attic with one out capped and 2 receivers connected to it
    Any and all help will be appreciated
    Thanks

2. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Are you talking about reception off the air or via satellite? Did the channels disappear from your guide or are you unable to get a signal when tuning to the channel?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What channels do you get?
    What channels don't you get?

I'm guessing that you're not getting your SD channels. Those are beamed from the 119ºW satellite, which cannot be received by the 3-LNB SlimLine dish. You need a 5-LNB SlimLine dish. Who installed your equipment? Get them back and have them install the correct dish.

And welcome to DBSTalk!

4. jgreg

jgreg New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    They were via satelite I got them at one time then they faded away this is the third lnb he put in and he claimed a limb was in the way and or bad lnb so we moved the dish to a totally clear sky and still no locals All sats that I do get are around 96-98
    Thanks in advance for all info it is needed and appreciated

5. jgreg

jgreg New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Sorry I receive only 4,6, 8 and 26

I have read on one of the forums where you can go to a test channel and if you do not receive that channel you are not receiving that sat I went to channel 568 and 569 it tells me channel is not available I am learning but not sure about all info I read that I understand it but please help me it is very interesting and I need something to keep my attention because I stay at home about 90-95 percent of the time due to health
    All is appreciated
    Thanks Jim

6. jgreg

jgreg New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Here I go again being what I posted above I have a high def package, but I am unsure if I receive all the channels that I am supposed to Does everyone that has a hi def package receive all the same channels if they do would some one please list them for me
    Thanks Jim

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    These represent all the HD channels that DIRECTV currently carries for the New Orleans market.

These are also available as SD channels along with 12, 32, 38, 42, 49, 54 and TFT on 408 at 119W.

If you LNB can't see 119W for any reason, you won't see any of the SD channels. In your case, the installer screwed you over by installing an SL3. You need a properly located Slimline 5 dish.

You do NOT have access to the SD locals through the dish.

8. jgreg

jgreg New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Is the sl3 the lnb or the dish? If it is the lnb which one do I need by the way he is a sub contractor
    Thanks

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Go to this page and click on HD CHANNELS link in the package you subscribe to for a list of the channels you should get.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=3950019&footernavtype=-1

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The SL3 is a SlimLine 3 LNB Dish!!!

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If the contractor gave you a contact number, you should try that first.

Otherwise, you need to tell DIRECTV that you aren't getting your SD locals. If the service call was recent, they should send someone out to fix it for free.

You need an LNB that supports five satellite slots (SL5) as opposed to the SL3 that you have.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The correct answer to the question is that the OP has an SL3 LNB and they need an SL5 LNB. The dish is the same either way.

13. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    SL3 and SL5 are LNB types for the Slimline dish.

[​IMG]
    SL3 (Slimline LNB-3)
    Picks up 99/101/103

[​IMG]
    SL5 (Slimline LNB-5)
    Picks Up 99/101/103, 110, 119

Your SD locals are on 119. An SL3 LNB can't receive 119, so you need an SL5 LNB.

You are able to pick up the 3 HD locals in your area because they come from either 99(s) or 103(s), which your SL3 can pick up.

14. jgreg

jgreg New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Ok, if I understand this correctly, I can use the dish that I have but I need to get SL5 LNB
    Thanks in advance

15. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's right. You must have the 5-LNB SlimLine assembly to receive your SD locals from 119ºW. Hopefully you have clear line-of-sight to that satellite from your dish's location. Best to call DirecTV and get them back to do this correctly. They never should have installed the 3-LNB dish to begin with.

16. jgreg

jgreg New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks for all of your help I beleive I understand now I know where I can borrow a SL5 lnb to try. Do I need to do anything else?
    I will try it and post the outcome
    Thanks Jim

17. tominvt

tominvt Cool Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 19, 2007
    Castleton, VT
    You will need to realign the dish. It is focused on 101 and will need to be focused on 110.

EDIT: I must have had the old 3LNB oval dish on my mind. DOH! sorry.

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    NO!!

All Slimline dishes, regardless of LNB configuration, are aimed at 101. If you look at the pic, you'll see that the 99/101/103 combo feedhorn is centered on both assemblies.

19. jgreg

jgreg New Member

Jan 29, 2010
    I disconnected the swm and the sl3 completely I installed the sl5 lnb and changed the setting to multiswich and ran 1 line only to my receiver.
    Still no local channels
    Any suggestions what to do next
    Thanks Jim

20. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Do you see those local channels in your Guide? What happens if you try to tune one? On-screen error message?

Now that you've installed the correct dish, Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
    [Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #
    9-16 # # # # # # # #
    17-24 # # # # # # # #
    25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
    [A few HD channels, also beamed from 99 & 103º]
    1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA #
    9-16 NA # NA # NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
    [Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
    17-24 NA NA NA NA NA # # #
    25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
    [Local HD channels for some cities]
    1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
    9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
    17-24 # # # # # # # #
    [Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]
    [National HD channels]
    1-8 # # # # # # # #