Cannot record HBO preview

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by B_H, Jul 10, 2016.

1. B_H

B_H Cool Member

Sep 23, 2003
    So tonight I tried to set a recording for the upcoming HBO free preview. Nope, can't do it. Says I do not have a subscription to HBO. Why have a free preview if it can't be recorded? Seems as though HBO wouldn't like that.

Another problem for me. DVR recently crapped out. Got new one, was told by Directv CSR to go to www.directv.com/recycle and print a label and send it to the recycle center. Sent it in box new DVR came in. A couple weeks later a box shows up to return it in (different address of course). Now they're saying I didn't send it back and have to pay for it.

After 17 years with D* I'm getting fed up. Does Dish allow recording of FREE previews?

2. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    It can be recorded, but only during the free preview period; while you may look forward to see waht is coming, you cannot schedule anything until then, and then watch it at your leisure.
    It has always been this was as far back as I have had DirecTV in 2007 or so.

I can't address the mixup with the DVR shipping, but they should be able to resolve that to your satisfaction easily enough.

3. B_H

B_H Cool Member

Sep 23, 2003
    I've ALWAYS been able to set the recording of the free previews ahead of time. It just said I didn't have a subscription (or something to that effect), but I was able to set the recording. Been that way for me for over 15 years.

2 people like this.
  4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, but wth the most recent update DirecTV now allows to subscribe to the channel currently form the receiver itself assuming is internet connected. This however removes the functionality of being able to record from a non subscribed channel.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

5. B_H

B_H Cool Member

Sep 23, 2003
    There's always been a message that said that I did not subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. but I could record it anyway (with the idea that if I didn't subscribe to that channel - and there was no free preview - that nothing would be recorded). Why remove that option? It could be left in even with the option of subscribing to it from the DVR. Of course the answer is: "get more subscribers". But the chances are slim that I'll be watching it live, so the chances of me getting hooked on some series are now down to zero, thus the odds of me subscribing are much less.

Let me hear from you all. Am I the only one disappointed?