1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Get Closed Caption to work

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by StL_Don, Feb 20, 2012.

1. StL_Don

StL_Don Cool Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Help,
    I just had the new HD Tivo installed. So far most things are going well, but for the life of me I cannot get CC to work.
    I'm connected to the TV via HDMI. I've turned CC on within the TIVO settings, but when I push the CC button on the TV remote it says "Not Available".
    I just tried using the S-Video connection and CC works, but of course I've lost the HD.

The television is a Samsung, 2008 vintage.

Don

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Why are you selecting CC from the TV remote (which controls the TV)?

You should be selecting it from the TiVo (which handles the CC stream over HDMI).

3. StL_Don

StL_Don Cool Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Thanks for the response.
    As I mentioned in the OP, I've turned CC on via the Tivo setup... that hasn't seemed to make any difference.
    Prior to this DVR I have always controlled CC via the CC button on the TV remote, be it DTV or OTA programming,
    but I realize that HD and HDMI are a whole new world (for me).

Don

4. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    With the Directv H receivers, it is not enough to just turn Captioning on, you also have to select the correct digital track. For most programs, the captions appear on the 'Service 1' digital track.