Can't get DPP 1000.4 Switch to see input 2 properly

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jgoggan, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Apr 2, 2019 #1 of 14
    jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    I have a 722 receiver with a "DPP 1000.4 w/ Separator" Switch. Over the past few months, I've been getting "partial signal loss" more often than usual -- even in decent weather. Usually, I just change the channel and suddenly it is back to normal -- even if I immediately go back to the channel that was having trouble. I started to suspect the switch, but kinda ignored it.

Yesterday, I installed a new TV stand, so I ended up disconnecting everything and reconnecting it as I moved it in. Once everything was back, I had no problems with one of my inputs, but if I switched to the second input, it kept telling me that it couldn't get a good enough signal for HD and was falling back to SD (which worked on some channels and not on others).

So, I finally did some switch tests and, on Input 1, I'm getting 77, 72, and 61.5 as expected. No problems there. But Input 2 keeps listing 77 on Port 1 -- and then ports 2 & 3 are dead (they say "Conn" for Satellite and "X" for Trans.

I then swapped the inputs and tested again -- and got the exact same results: Input 1 is great with 77, 72, and 61.5 -- and Input 2 is just 77 on Port 1.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? Is this likely a bad switch?

Thanks for any advice!

- John...

2. Apr 2, 2019 #2 of 14
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Just to note it... While it says "w/ Separator", I don't think I actually have one. There are two RG6 cables running from the dish to my 722 (one to input 1 and one to input 2, of course). There is no separator involved...

- John...

3. Apr 2, 2019 #3 of 14
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Sounds like you have a bad DPP LNB/switch. You can either get a replacement or get a DPP44 switch. All 3 outputs from the LNB goto inputs on the DPP44, then you would take the outputs of the switch to your 722.

The other thing you could do would be is to get the DPP seperator . THere are 2 versions - one has only 2 sat outputs, and the other is a triplexer - again, you would use the Sat outputs.

It's also possible that your 722 is going out on you and you need to replace it. Dish would probably replace it with a Hopper and Joey for each additional TV. This would give you HD at both TVs. The Hopper has composite A/V , component A/V and HDMI outputs, while Joey have 1 HDMI and 1 set composite A/V outputs. Both also have TOSLINK outputs. You would want Dish to install this for you.

4. Apr 3, 2019 #4 of 14
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    With separate cables to the receiver I would guess at a failing receiver.

5. Apr 3, 2019 #5 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would open a cover of the ViP722 (or is it 722k ?) and check soldering of F-outlet to PCB - both sides of the PCB, sometimes a round micro crack developing around soldered center wire due cable's jiggling.

6. Apr 3, 2019 #6 of 14
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Especially since you said you swapped the cables and the problem stayed with input 2.

7. Apr 3, 2019 #7 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    beating obvious things... who else ? ;)

8. Apr 3, 2019 #8 of 14
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Thanks for the advice from everyone. It is indeed a 722 (not a 722k). It's leased and I've had it forever. Been meaning to upgrade to a Hopper 3 for a long time now, but never got around to it.

I'll check on my upgrade options and probably do that now. :) This will give me a good excuse...

(That being said, I may pop it open tonight and take a look at the solder joints too.)

9. Apr 3, 2019 #9 of 14
    jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Ok, went ahead and did my upgrade. I was offered a lease of the Hopper 3 for $150 - or the Hopper w/ sling for free. I went ahead and took the Hopper w/ Sling for free -- mainly because it looks like I can just BUY a Hopper 3 on EBay for under that $150 anyhow. So, I'll start with the free upgrade and then, later, maybe switch to my own Hopper 3.

Tech will be there as the first install tomorrow morning. (I paid the $20 to be first -- it was worth it to me.) So, we'll see what we get as far as finding out if the problem was the receiver or not. :)

10. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    So, the tech is here doing the install... Just for fun, I have a question and a comment. :)

As for the question... He is replacing my DPP 1000.4 because he says it won't work with the Hopper w/ Sling. I guess I thought that was what was normally used? What would he install instead of the 1000.4? (I'm in Michigan if it matters.)

As for the comment... The guy continues to tell me that I need 4K HDMI cables. My TV is 4K, but I got the Sling w/ Hopper -- not the Hopper 3 -- as I mentioned above. He agrees that the Hopper will not output 4K. However, he continues to argue that my TV will upscale the output from the Hopper only if using 4K cables. I've tried to explain this to him, but he is convinced that 4K cables are required for the TV to upscale. I even asked if he thought the upscaling was happening at the Hopper or at the TV. He agrees it is at the TV since the Hopper doesn't output 4K. Um, yeah, ok. :)

And it's not even a sales push. He's not like he's trying to get me to buy his 4K cables or something. He's convinced that that is how it works. *eyeroll*

[EDIT: Note that my HDMI cables are high-speed cables that carry 1080p just fine currently.]

11. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Ok, so he mentioned a hub being installed in my basement. So, maybe a Hybrid LNB and a Solo Hub?

That would be needed for a Hopper 3, right? So, if I do get the Hopper 3 later, I think I should be able to just swap out the Hopper w/ Sling and replace it with the Hopper 3 -- and be fine for the rest of the equipment from the dish to the receiver, right?

12. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    The 1000.4 does work with a Hopper w/Sling, I have two of each that have worked well for several years. If/when you switched to a Hopper 3, just adding a DPH42 switch would have allowed the 1000.4 to continue to work for you. As it is, it appears that he unnecessarily swapped the 1000.4 for a 1000.2, but oh well, if that's what the work order called for...

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    the 1000.4 on eastern arc adds 77 to 61.5 and 72.7. 77 has mostly SD versions of channels you get in HD on 61.5 and 72.7, so you're not going to be missing anything. As long as you're getting your locals in HD (where available), you'll be fine.

NYDutch likes this.
  14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    jgoggan - did the new dish and Hopper with Sling fix you up OK ?