1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant get hd on direct tv i installed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bzmannn, Feb 15, 2013.

1. bzmannn

bzmannn New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I recently installed a new sl5k4nro-02 dish with a H23/600 receiver
    I have great signal on sat101 which i assume is SD but no HD signal I bought a pi-21 power inserter and a SWM 4 way splitter but still no signal. Do i even need this? My dish doesn't have SWM on it. I tried a few different sat setups

Do i need to fine tune my dish azimuth friggin frustrating with so many answers i get

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    OK, you don't need a power inserter or a splitter. What you need is to aim the dish so it gets the 99 and 103 satellites.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Look up your azimuth, elevation and tilt (skew) on dishpointer.com making sure you choose the right dish (DIRECTV 5LNB) from the drop-down menu.

Set the tilt according to the results (if it isn't already).

If your mast is plumb (absolutely vertical), you should be good to go.

You need to be certain that there is NOT a BBC connected to the back of the H23.

If you're unable (or unwilling) to do all of this, call for professional help.

Self-installing is overrated.

4. bzmannn

bzmannn New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    perfect answer now just have to tweak it thanks

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Your dish choice should be Slimline 5
    and choose Multiswitch.

6. bzmannn

bzmannn New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    one more stupid ? If i am trying to line up sat 99 and 103 for hd with dishpointer They both have different elev and skew do i just split the difference when fine tuning dish

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The Slimline 5 is aimed at 101. Once you have a decent SD signal, you should be able to find the HD signal - you may have to make very small adjustments. Peak the dish on 101. If you are not getting anything on 99 or 103 check your slew/tilt.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You're making this a lot harder than it is.

First off, you point the dish as an assembly, not for the individual feed horns. dishpointer.com has the DIRECTV dish in its list (under Multi-LNB Setups near the bottom of the satellite list). Use those numbers (do NOT ignore the skew) and you're good to go.