1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get my HR44 to recognize WVB.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mlyles, Jul 24, 2018.

1. mlyles

mlyles Mentor

Sep 19, 2006
    I have one HR24 in a bedroom and my HR44 (and power inserter) is in family room. Im trying to connect a wireless video bridge in hopes of adding a wireless mini client on my screened-in deck. Maybe im not connecting it right, but I can't get the HR44 to recognize the WVB. My HR44 is connected wirelessly to my router in the same room. Please HELP!

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Can you detail how everything is wired in your home please?

And also why you are using wireless from your router to your hr44 if they are net to each other instead of just running a network cable?

3. lzhj9k

lzhj9k Legend

Mar 14, 2009
    I trust you contacted DirecTv and had them add the WVB to your account..

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    WVB's have to be wired via coax to the Directv HR44. Just checking you did that.

5. mlyles

mlyles Mentor

Sep 19, 2006
    HR44 is on other side of room from pc/router. That's I don't have it hard-wired. Anyway, am I correct that if I split the coax from the PI and run one line to the WVB and one to the HR44 it should work? Do I really have to call D* and have the WVB added to my account? Whole Home is already enabled.

6. grover517

grover517 AllStar DBSTalk Club

Sep 29, 2007
    My HR44 is in the LR behind our TV and the WVB is in the basement. Both are connected to my 8 way splitter. Works just fine that way. And Yes, you must have your WVB added to your account or it will not work.

7. mlyles

mlyles Mentor

Sep 19, 2006
    I have an HR24 in one room and an HR44 + power inserter in another. Can I connect a WVB to the coax going to the HR24 (with a splitter)? Or does the WVB have to be in the same room as the HR44? I bought a wireless mini client off ebay I am going to set up once I get the WVB going. Thanks for any help!

8. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You can put the WVB anywhere that you can get a coax run to it.

9. Aug 1, 2018 #9 of 13
    mlyles

mlyles Mentor

Sep 19, 2006
    Just called and tried to have my WVB and mini activated. Guy said he couldn't activate because he couldn't find the S/N in the system. Asked me where I got the WVB. When I told him I got it off eBay, he said they would have to charge me $99 for a tech to come out and install. I told him I would think about it. Think I will have better luck if I call back later and get another rep?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2018
  10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Doesn't it have the serial number on it somewhere ?
    Call back and give them the number of the unit.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And try solid signal instead of DirecTV. They can activate equipment as well.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "... he couldn't find the S/N in the system."
    They had the serial number off of the receiver but could not find it in DIRECTV's system.

13. Banditx

Banditx New Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CA
    A WVB doesn't need to be activated on your account to work. You can take any WVB and add it to your Genie. The serial # is primarily just used for inventory purposes.

Make sure there are no WVBs added in the Genie. If there are, delete them (Under 'Whole Home' settings under Menu. Proceed to do a factory reset of the WVB by holding the reset button for 20+ seconds. Do not have the coax connected to the WVB while resetting. Once it's done resetting, connect the coax to the WVB and wait for Genie to detect. Name WVB and save settings. That's it.

* I've seen it take up to 5 mins before the Genie detects the bridge.