1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get signal Slimline with SL3PIG-P and D12-700 receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by KeithNystrom, Jul 13, 2012.

1. KeithNystrom

KeithNystrom New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Tried setting up a Slimline 3 LNB dish at cabin to take our D12-700 receiver with on weekends from our regular home. The LNB is a SL3PIG-P (non Swim). After setting azmuth, elevlation for DirecTV 101, and setting D12-700 to Slimeline 3 and multi-switch, we tried, and tried to get a signal on the TV signal meter. I made many, many, many very small adjustments to azmuth and elevation and was never able to get a any of the transponders on the TV signal meters go above zero.

Looking for thoughts/ideas on what I did wrong and what to try when we go back up on the 19th.
    1) could the LNB be bad? is there a way to test that that is fairly straight forward.
    2) Take up a small portable TV and a short coax to try the D12-700 just a few feet from the dish to rule out bad cable
    3) any other thoughts/ideas?

thanks in advance, Keith

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Get an 18" round dish and use it. Much easier to set up and the D12 only uses transponders off the 101 anyway (for everything except Spanish package and a couple of music channels).

Is your D12 running SWM at home? It might take a reset or two to get it to really be in the multiswitch mode.

It is certainly easier to align dish with a tv right there, so taking a small tv to do that is a good idea (in addition to ruling out coax problem).

Did you also set the slew/tilt on the Slimline dish? Not as critical when you are only trying for 101, but still should be set correctly.

3. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Since it's an sl3, you should be able to set the skew to zero and point at 101. 99 and 103 are irrelevant with the D12.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Just to note for the OP;

A skew of 0 means 90 degrees (or straight up) on the Ka/Ku's ODU scale on the dish back assembly.

And I understand that even for HD you can get away with a tilt setting of 90 degrees (tilt 0) on the SL-3 since 99 and 103 are so close to 101 the angle of the Clarke belt makes at any CONUS location to the Slimline dish horizontal long axis is irrelevant.

Though for permanent HD installs I'd never recommend to ignore the tilt setting this way, even for the SL-3.

But would for temporary setups like for tailgating.

5. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And BTW;

On a somewhat related topic, I certainly do like the new "Reduced size Back Assembly Unit" (BAU) for the Ka/Ku ODU.

Smaller, lighter, and lower profile with the collar now actually placed inside the bracket assembly housing.

And the azimuth and elevation fine tune dials both repositioned to the rear of the assembly and in the same horizontal plane is a much better choice.

The new "inner" scale for additional aid in setting the tilt is a plus as well I'd say.

Only one azimuth lock-down bolt on top on the assembly is great. But three lock-down bolts for the elevation, one of which must be tight even during adjustment, is somewhat confusing though I guess.

6. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.

So how would one go about getting a reduced sized BAU??
    It would be great for my Tailgate portable dish!!

Doctor j

7. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Your PM box is full
    Doctor j