1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't order AM21N?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kevinturcotte, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Just called Directv and they won't let me order an AM21N because they offer locals in my area. WHAT?!

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Try ordering it from the website.

3. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Problem is, the website wants money for it now. I wanted to have it ship today and bill it to my account.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I don't believe they do that for "accessories".

5. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Ahh, I see.

I guess you just have to spin the CSR roulette wheel then... :)

6. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    WOW. I'd call back and see if that was a one off response or that's their actual answer across the board.

7. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Called back twice more and got the same response from both CSRs. They can't order it because they offer my locals in HD. I even tried asking about the sub channels that they don't carry, but apparently those aren't a good enough reason to let me shell out $50 for the AM21N. NOTHING was even mentioned about billing it to the account.
    I'll try and order it through the website when I have some money to order it with.

8. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    That or try SolidSignal.com. They have it in stock.

9. cummingsje

cummingsje AllStar

Mar 23, 2007
    Just ordered and received one from amazon the other day.

10. EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1 Mentor

Nov 26, 2007
    Me too. $65. I don't have HD locals here in Santa Cruz and they wouldn't let me buy it either.

11. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    I suggest you ask to speak to a supervisor. I have four of them (one on each DVR), all of which I received just for the asking over the past several years.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Sounds like the script needs a serious going over. DIRECTV shouldn't get to choose what TV you can record (although they seem pretty committed to it at this point).

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Something is seriously wrong somewhere. It looks like a communication problem somewhere. The big advantage (these days), is avoiding rain fade on the HD locals, which can be quite problematic, at least in this part of the midwest, so whether we get HD-LIL or not (without considering the addition of sub-channels not carried by D*), is not relevant.

Very strange. I have two AM21s here, neither is the newer "N" model. One is on an HR21-100 and the other is on an H21-200. Both work well, and both were provided by D* (admittedly, a long time ago).

I can't imagine being refused for sale by D*. How can you refuse to sell, but make it available on their web site? I don't get it.

Like I said, some error has been made. It makes no sense.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    This doesn't make sense. I ordered mine through a CSR and I get locals through DirecTV. And they gave it to me for free. That was last summer, but no reason to change. Maybe call retention?

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    WOW!!! You must be tight on Money!!! :nono2:

16. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Even if I couldn't use the thing, I'd think they'd be willing to sell it to me! Maybe try and talk me out of it, but still let me buy it lol

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Probably stupid CSRs who haven't been taught correctly about what they are selling and are allowed to sell.

I got 2 AM21s Free when I traded in my HR20s for HR24-500s.

18. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Check comes in next week!

19. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I would think the ONLY time the computer would intervene and not allow the sale is if you don't have any compatible equipment-H20, HR20, or even older receivers. I'm going to try again later. If I STILL can't get anybody to send me one, I will go through retention. I'm NOT looking for a deal or a free one, just looking to actually be able to purchase one lol

20. EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1 Mentor

Nov 26, 2007
    Again, try Amazon. I'm angling for a heavily discounted HR34 so I didn't want to waste my goodwill on a free AM21N.

By the way, I was talking to a CSR in the equipment department and she claimed there was no such thing as an AM21.