Can't solve this issue - 771 error on one receiver only

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by retromzc, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1 of 13
    retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    I'm trying to solve an issue for my mother. Her main tv in the living room (H21) receiver keeps showing error 771 no signal on a few HD channels (231 Food, 254 AMC & 280 TLC.) Her receiver in the bedroom (H23) works fine and does not have any issues with these HD channels. Signal meters on both receivers show low to mid 90's across all expected satellite transponders (99,103)

What I've tried so far is...
    I reversed the cables from the bedroom tv to the living room tv and the problem continues which should eliminate any cabling issues.
    I put the bedroom receiver in the living room and it works fine there which again shows cabling should be fine.
    I put a different bbc on the H21 receiver, which didn't help the issue. (the H23 doesn't use bbc's)

I called ATT/Directv and set up and scheduled a tech visit for her for late the next week. The next day everything started working fine again and kept working for the next several days so I cancelled the tech appointment. You guessed it, the problem returned the day after I cancelled the tech appointment. For now I have the H21 receiver set to show all channels so she can watch the SD versions.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me to try or does it sound like the H21 receiver is on it's way out? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RB

2. Feb 7, 2016 #2 of 13
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Just to be 100% certain, check the signal levels on 99CA transponders 18 and 20.
    Does the H21 show the same problem in the bedroom?

3. Feb 7, 2016 #3 of 13
    retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    When I'm over at her home later today I will check those specific transponders. Yes, the H21 shows the same problem in the bedroom.

Thanks

4. Feb 7, 2016 #4 of 13
    retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    Ok

99ca tp. 18 reads 91
    99ca tp. 20 reads 92

The one receiver still reports 771 signal loss on satellite tuner 1 in. Neither receiver is a dvr they are both standard receivers. I've also tried unplugging the affected H21 receiver as well as unplugging it, doing a menu restart as well as a rbr. I'm stumped!

RB

5. Feb 7, 2016 #5 of 13
    bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    Try rerunning Satellite Setup.

6. Feb 7, 2016 #6 of 13
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like your receiver is dying to me. When they start losing channels and the signal strength is good it is probably history. I would call and see if they will send you a replacement. They do not require a new contract to replace a broken unit.

7. Feb 8, 2016 #7 of 13
    retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    That's what I'm thinking also since I've tried everything I can think of. I even reran satellite set up as bakers12 suggested with no luck. Guess the best thing to do is to call and tell them it's broken and hopefully they will just send a replacement instead of scheduling a tech visit.

Thanks to those who responded with suggestions.

RB

8. Feb 8, 2016 #8 of 13
    retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    So I just discovered another oddity with this situation. If you first tune to either 252(Lifetime) or 331(MTV) which work fine and then tune directly to any of the affected channels 231, 280 or 254 then these channels work. Once you tune any other channel you first have to tune to either 252 or 331 first and then tune directly to one of the affected channels. Strange.

RB

9. Feb 8, 2016 #9 of 13
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Those channels are on 99ca tpn 19, the ones you are having trouble with are on 99ca tpns 18 and 20. I kind of think the LNB may be the culprit, since you mention BBCs you are using a legacy LNB there. The reason why it only affects one may be that it it is delivering frequencies with a bit of an offset, and one receiver is able to handle that offset while it is too large for the other. Does there seem to be any dependency on the temperature outside or amount of sunshine for when you see these problems and when you don't?

Replacing the receiver may not help if that's the case, the LNB would need to be replaced for a true fix.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sounds like it is time to reschedule the tech visit.

11. retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    Going to reschedule a tech visit. Yes, the first time the problem showed up it was cold out, under 320. The problem briefly went away when the temperature rose above freezing. Things were fine for several days with temperatures below or above freezing. The last few days it's been in the 40's but the problem did not go away this time. As I said, I'm going to call for a tech visit for my mother again.

Thanks again for all the advice!

12. retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    Just tried to do that. Spent over 40 minutes on the phone with a csr and got nowhere. "I can't schedule a truck roll at this time", "computers won't allow it." Got disconnected once during the call (she did call back though). Someone will call you back within 72hrs. to schedule your tech visit. I'm not holding my breath on that. Will try again tomorrow. Although I'm quite frustrated I didn't lose my cool during the call, no use to do that.

13. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    I've had 771/775 occasionally on my HR-34 when the temp goes below -7° or lower. As soon as the sun warms it up above 0° it starts working again. My HR20 will continue to work though.