1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't swap leased receivers between customers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Incog-Neato, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato Godfather

Apr 21, 2006
    I don't quite understand the logic in this.

A fried just got an HR20-700 and I just got an HR21-700. He wants the 21 ('cause it's black) and I want the 20 ('cause it has OTA). DirecTV refuses to let us swap them between us. They claim if we remove them from our account they will charge a "no-return fee" of $400 because the RID is "married" to my account even if it is a swap. I spoke with supervisors and their supervisor and they all say the same. They say my only option is to buy a HR20-700 at retail.

Anyone tried this?

2. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Interesting. If the receiver is "married" to your account then why would they want it back - It can't be reused since it's "married" to your account. It has to be possible, they just don't want to allow it or deal with it.

3. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Do you have the same programming? If so, how would it matter if you just did it anyway.

4. steve053

steve053 Godfather

May 11, 2007
    If they don't change the account, then any and all PPV or premium purchases would be billed to the account owner.

5. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Just swap.
    D* won't know what receiver is where, I don't think. Just don't hook it up to a phone line. My ex-girl friend was using her ex-boy friends extra receiver to get D* all the while he was paying for it and he lived 300 miles away.

6. Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato Godfather

Apr 21, 2006
    Of course they would. They ask for RID #. When the time comes to return the receiver it would be a major problem since D* maintains ownership since it's a lease. What your ex did is totally different (and not legal as it is theft of service - but that's a different issue).

7. Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato Godfather

Apr 21, 2006
    It's married until you get a divorce from D* and they take it back. They claim swapping isn't acceptable. You are correct I'm sure, they just don't want to deal with it.

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I would think if you and your friend got together with retention, on the phone and both suggested you were going to cancel your accounts, they would find a way to accomodate your request. I'm not saying be rude to them, get their attention, the people you have talked to so far don't want to be bothered.

9. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I doubt that would work.
    They said they don't swap equipment between accounts. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

10. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I totally agree that what my ex did was wrong if not illegal and I did not condone it which is why I had D* put in my name. But if both units are activated and the rate is the same then they could just swap the units. Just hope they don't need a service call.
    I am NOT advocating stealing service just swapping equipment. D* should not make it a problem because D* will still get their $$$.

11. rlhammon

rlhammon Mentor

Nov 11, 2007
    Call D* tell them you want the other receiver... they will say no way to ensure you get the model you want. Tell them you'll buy it locally, and want to return their unwanted receiver, but you want to be credited for the $299 you paid. They can do this... in fact, they just did it for me.

If you have a Costo account, you can buy the receivers there for $269 and get a $299 credit (which will cover tax, and the time delay in the credit). I don't have a Costco account.. but it's something you can do.

They gave me a $179 instant credit and the balance as $10 / month for a year off my bill... not cash neutral, but good enough so that I got the HR-20 and not the HR-21 that was installed. I needed to retain OTA ability.. and it was the only way to do it.

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I understand completely, I'm not certain the people who were spoken to at D* understand. Would be simple enough to do, the difficult part is finding the right person to do it.

13. Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato Godfather

Apr 21, 2006
    Been there, done that. They gave me the HR21 & 5LNB for free + $120 in credits. She said they would take back the free one and I would have to pay retail for the Costco one and wouldn't give me any credits.

14. mikeybc

mikeybc Mentor

Apr 22, 2007
    I had to return an HR20-700 due to it crashing and was sent an HR20-100 in return. Did I get screwed by D*? I haven't used it that much, but it looks mostly the same. Haven't done much research, but I don't see a CE program for the -100... Any advise???

15. mikeybc

mikeybc Mentor

Apr 22, 2007
    Ok folks, per this last post, I just hung up with D*. They are telling me there is nothing they can do to get me an HR20-700 back in return. I can't even go to a Best Buy and purchase and HR20-700 and get reimbursed. I received the line from a 3rd level supervisor/manager (after being transferred 7 times, no joke) that he works for a company that works for D* and they have no control over what receiver is sent out. This is total B.S. How can customer service have no control over what they do for their customers!?!?!?

Please, someone stop me from jumping off the bridge into the land of Dish Network or God-forbid, Comcast!!!!!

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The -100 is just as good as the -700. There are minor design differences, but at the moment the -100 is still in production and the -700 isn't. I'm sure in the future there will be plenty of optional downloads for the -100, as well as the HR21-700.

17. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Why get so upset that you got a -100 for a -700? You have lost nothing! The OP is upset because he lost OTA, his situation I understand. And, HR20-100 units have been getting CEs now, didn't they get one on Friday & Saturday of last week??

18. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I think I saw a post or 2 about there being an access card department you can ask for when you call. They may be more expert in tying/untying Hardware>AccessCard>Customer than other departments.

19. rlhammon

rlhammon Mentor

Nov 11, 2007
    I got my credits, I've verified on my account. Ask to speak to customer retention. The CSR's can only give out so much credit per time period... a $299 credit to one person I'm sure is a big deal to the CSR, but not to Customer Retention.

I was very kind to the CSR and the Customer Retention person, explained I had an issue with no longer getting my OTA (especially since I lost my NBC-HD without OTA), and I wanted to know what they could do for me. She offered the exchange plus credits... they are sending a recovery box to my door which I will load the HR-21 in, and my HR-20 is up and running currently.

20. Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato Godfather

Apr 21, 2006
    Tried retention. They refused. I even called corporate and got a callback from someone who was less then polite and told me my only option was to send this one back and buy a new one on my own. Funny part is, I told them I'd even take a reconditioned one. I said, what if mine dies (I have the PP). They said they would send me the same model. Maybe I'll give it one more shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.